Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to the board.. have some questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New to the board.. have some questions

Hello-

I have some Very old items on my credit report that I had a couple of questions about.  I was less than responsible in college with some credit cards, but post college have been extremely responsible.  Bought a house at a decent rate, got a couple of credit cards, a car payment etc, student loans and have paid on time.

I was wondering if the expected date they will be removed is based on the DOFD for charge-offs or collection accounts?  Just trying to get an idea so I can keep an eye out.  Most of these date back to 9/2001. If they are due to come off in June on another CRA report, and haven't, do I contact the CRA directly and ask for deletion?

Also, I pulled my Equifax report today and had a couple of questions about those negative accounts.

1.  I set up a plan and paid my charged-off discover card in full, and they changed it to the CRA as paid in full/pays as agreed as we agreed, but I have some late payments showing starting in May03-Aug03 up to 120 days then Nov03-Jan04 up to 90 days.  Would it be worth it to send a letter to them asking them to remove those even if its closed?  I don't even know if you can do that but thought I would ask.

2. I also had a charged-off capital one card.  I got an offer for them to open a new card for the charged off amount and each payment a percentage would go to the charged-off amount and a percentage would build a usable credit line.  I was told that this would cause my charged-off status to become closed/paid as agreed once the balance was paid.  I of course at the time did not know better to get it in writing.  Well halfway through they sold the new account with the charged off balance and the new credit line to Pearl Gold Mastercard.  This has been paid off as December.  So the new Capital One account is closed and shows pays as agrees, but the old Capital One still shows as a paid charge-off.  Can I send a letter asking them to delete it or mark as pays as agrees?  The DOFD is 10/2001 so I don't know if its worth it if it will come off in October of this year.

Also, why is the Pearl mastercard not being reported on Equifax?  I pulled my other reports and I believe it is being reported on those, but I would need to double check when I get home.

3.  Lastly, I have a public record for $75 filed 8/2001.  In my older credit reports, the amount was showing as $0 because it was a error on the college housings part.  The judgment did not move forward.  When I moved out after college,my boyfriend left with a set of keys, which is what the $75 is for.  It looks like the just tacked it on to the judement at a later date when I had them verify it since it was showing as $0 and was a mistake.  Will this come off in Aug or do I need to pay it to get it off?

Sorry this is so long.  Thanks for the help!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New to the board.. have some questions

I would say that, overall, time is on your side here. These items from 2001 have decayed to the point they are no longer exerting a significant effect on your credit. Just let them drop.

What you should focus on are your positive accounts. Do you have at least four revolving and charge accounts that are open and in good standing?
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New to the board.. have some questions

OK, I figured they are not hurting my score that much and will fall off soon.  I am trying to get my score to 700. It is about 660 and up among all 3.  I am thinking the length of history may be the issue (10 years).

For installments I have my home loan since 6/2006, Car payment since 8/2005, student loans since 11/2003-always paid on-time.   My revolving accounts are 3 credit cards all relatively new. None newer than 2005 but as previously mentioned, one of them is not being reported.  I am guessing as I continue to pay on time the score will go up.

Thanks for the feedback.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.