Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay to delete response..quick question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay to delete response..quick question

So I had a collections for an unpaid parking ticket. The ticket was 30 dollars, but is now 42 because of interest. I had no idea i received this ticket, which is why it went unpaid. Anyway, I sent a 'pay to delete' letter to the collection agency. I sent it certified mail, and it took them about a week and a half to respond. This is what the letter says: "This letter is to confirm our settlement agreement of $41.37. Certified funds must be received in our office within 15 days of this letter. Once the account is settled in full, your credit file will be updated within 30 days." So, nowhere in the letter does it state that the collections will be removed, only that my credit file will be updated. It is pretty vague. I used one of the pay to delete templates, and it expressly stated that the collections be removed entirely. Should I disregard the vague words and just pay it? or am i just being really paranoid? I want it deleted entirely. This is the only derogatory item on my credit report, and I feel like it's weighing my score down. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Message Edited by allenalexander on 07-30-2008 06:46 PM
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Pay to delete response..quick question

Sounds to me like they are just going to mark this as a paid collection. I am no expert at these kinds of things but I might be tempted to send another pay for delete letter.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

bump Should i just call the collection agency? Any advice on what I should and shouldn't say? It's only 40 dollars, and it's from nearly 3 years ago. I don't see why they won't just take the money in exchange for a delete. It's a win-win situation right?
Message 3 of 9
makeynik
Regular Contributor

yeah...why the "urgency" of 15 days? Sounds like they want you to bite, but are only going to say "paid"
6/30/08 TU 441 EQ 425 EX 513
8/01/08 TU 499 EQ 488 EX 489
8/23/08 EQ 556
9/04/08 EQ 567
11/14/08 TU 531, EQ 582, EX 509
12/29/08 EQ 620 (yea!) EX 546 TU 555
1/17/2009 TU 568 EQ 620 EX 584, 4/15/09 TU 506, EQ 612
5/24/09 TU 558, EQ 646
Message 4 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

No, you are not being paranoid.  Unless it is in writing, specifically stating it will be deleted, I would not pay it.

And do not call a CA.  Send another PFD.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to send another PFD. Should I attach the letter they sent me, and highlight the fact that it doesn't mention deletion of the account?
Message 6 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I'll be doing then. I know it's just 40 bucks, but I really want it off LOL....I'll update with results. Thanks again.
Message 8 of 9
IrishPM
Frequent Contributor

I agree. Don't budge from your position of strength and always get it in writing.

I pushed this issue with Portfolio Recovery Associates for 11 months on a collection account. I wrote them a letter every 2 weeks letting them know under no circumstances will I accept a 'paid collection' on my credit reports. They only thing I would accept is a deletion of the trade line after final payment. They were incredibly stubborn for the past 11 months but it finally paid off for me.

Not only did I not have to pay the final payment but I got a letter from them (I filed a complaint through their local chapter of the BBB and the Attorney General) on July 30, 2008 (from their in-house legal counsel) that to amicably settle the matter with me that they have agreed to delete the trade line from all three credit reports and cease all collection activity on the account. We're not talking about $20 here. They actually turned down my final payment of $3,000 and agreed to delete, in writing.

I ordered all 3 credit reports from Myfico yesterday (July 31st) and the trade line was deleted from all three reports. Bottom line is this...don't take any c*ap from anyone even if they harass you until you feel like you can't take it anymore. Read the FDCPA and FCRA front to back and when you're finished with that, read it again. I applied everything I learned from reading and re-reading those documents and that's what got me where I'm at today. Patience. Persistence. Dedication.

As with anything, always negotiate from a position of strength and 9 chances out of 10 you will succeed.

My credit scores in September 2007: EQ 548, EX 560, TU 540

My credit scores today, August 1, 2008: EQ 712, EX 739, TU 756

Message Edited by IrishPM on 08-01-2008 11:46 AM
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.