cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Personal Loan - Would this be a horrible idea?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed Personal Loan - Would this be a horrible idea?

Today I received a blank check from PenFed saying that I had been pre-approved for a personal loan up to $25,000 with no origination fee.  

I was thinking that I would write myself a check for the full $25,000 -- deposit it into several new checking accounts with minimum opening balances that also come with bonuses -- in the range of $250-$500 each, and there would be roughly three of them.  After the minimum six months time open for these new bank accounts, withdraw them down to zero and use the funds to pay down the balance of the original PenFed personal loan.  But -- I wouldn't pay off the whole balance, just enough to get it down under 8.9% of the original balance amount.

This would in effect give me a $25,000 loan, with a current balance of $2,000. No origination fee, and the interest would be covered by the bonuses from the bank account openings.  One of the things I get dinged on my reports is loan balance to original loan amount is too high.  I had thought this was also a benefit for the self-lending loans.

I'd take a hit when they did a  hard pull for the loan, I'm sure. But I haven't had any new accounts in over a year, no inquiries in 13 months so one wouldn't be too bad.  And a hit for age of newest account and overall AAoA would drop (currently pushing 4 years).  But would that solve the pesky balance ratio problem?  And it would set up a precendent for taking out and paying back loans with PenFed.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PenFed Personal Loan - Would this be a horrible idea?

Never mind, I figured out the flaw in this plan.  

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

What was the flaw?

The flaw I saw was the amount.  For me that would be very scary, but maybe you are better with credit than I!

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You might incur additional credit inquiries when you open new bank accounts too.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You might incur additional credit inquiries when you open new bank accounts too.

This was my concern as well.

Message 5 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Brought it up, might as well let everyone know the flaw . Might help the next 25k pl receiver.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I were to take out the loan for $25,000 the monthly payment would be $700 or so.  Let's just say. 

I could pay the loan down to $2,000 but the monthly payment would still be $700.  So I would end up paying it off in 3 months.  Closed loans aren't included in the percentage of balance to owed when calculating FICOs, so it would be a nice boost for 3 months, but not really worth all the hassle and the added inquiry.

Additionally, I thought that applying for bank accounts went through ChexSystems and wasn't necessarily a hit to your credit unless you were applying for something like overdraft protection.

Message 7 of 8
Ardecko
Frequent Contributor

Some banks either don't pull ChexSystems or don't deny based on the results.

I opened regular PenFed and DCU checking accounts with a derog from an account my wife had on there. I also recently opened a Right Start (or something like that) Second Chance account with Unify.
2017-09-09 FICO 08: EQ 677, TU 640, EX 705
2020-02-07 FICO 08: TU 789
2020-02-10 FICO 08: EX 752

Gardening, mostly, again until... soon(I need to replace my car)

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.