Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close my Discover Secured?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I close my Discover Secured?

Hi All,

Quick question....I have Discover secured that I opened in June 2018, still hasn’t graduated. If I close it and try for preapproval might I get approved for an unsecured then? Every time I try for a second card, I get the reason “COLLECTION”, which I do have...a paid one from 1 yr, 9 months ago? So what should I do keep trying to Goodwill with the collection agency for removal or close the secured account. Thnx

Fico 8
EXP - 639
TRANS - 621
EQU - 626

Util - 17%
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I close my Discover Secured?

I would personally never close that Disco.  Some graduate faster than others while some are many years in and have not graduated.  

Message 2 of 11
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

Closing it is pointless since you get rejected for a second card over a collection. Keep working on the collection but it’s paid you need to get a goodwill. Who is the collection with? If you get the collection remove try for a unsecure card and then you can go about canceling the Secured one.

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 3 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi All,

Quick question....I have Discover secured that I opened in June 2018, still hasn’t graduated. If I close it and try for preapproval might I get approved for an unsecured then? Every time I try for a second card, I get the reason “COLLECTION”, which I do have...a paid one from 1 yr, 9 months ago? So what should I do keep trying for PFD with the collection agency or close the secured account. Thnx

Fico 8
EXP - 639
TRANS - 621
EQU - 626

Util - 17%

Little confused. You say its paid. But then ask for PFD. Is it 2 collections or 1? What does Disco's pre-qual page say?

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oops I meant to ask should I continue to goodwill for removal. The collection agency is National Credit Adjusters and they keep telling me NO. I’ve called, emailed, written letters , they are a tough nut to crack. @simplegirl , yes that makes sense it would be pointless because they would prob reject the unsecured for the same reason. They are prob just not liking something about my profile right now. The OC is Rise Credit and it only appears on my Transunion report. It seems like Disco is getting data from Experian, so I wonder what it is about my profile that is making them hesitant. The only thing I can think of is one time my payment being returned because I put the wrong account number, but the CS rep told me they wouldn’t hold that against my graduation progress?
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Fire, it says COLLECTION

The reasons on the back listed are
Serious delinquency and PR or collection filed
Length of time accounts have been established
Time since delinquency too recent or unknown
Message 6 of 11
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

Yeah NCA is very difficult that’s why I’m not paying them and waiting until they fall off in 2022. But it isn’t falling off for awhile so yep harass them until they take it off.

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 7 of 11
satio
Frequent Contributor

My experience is that Disco is using Transunion as its primary CRA source of information.

So if that is where your "baddy" or "baddies" show up, that's where they are getting it from.

That was exactly the case for me when they closed my account that I had maintained faithfully for a long time, carrying a high balance that I finally paid to zero, then they did an account review few months following, found a baddie for another creditor which had a Charge Off with that is also paid but not yet been updated by CRA in my report. Therefore, Disco elected to close my account as a result...

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@satio, ohhh! Since they referenced Experian in the letter when I tried to pre qual, I thought it was coming from there. Well that explains it, Trans shows more of my baddies than the other two for sure. Thanks a lot! I’ll keep PIF the secured one and hope one day things changes. Now that I think of it, they do use Trans for the score they give us. Seems like Disco looks at all three at some point ...
Message 9 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Do not close that card. As your situation improves, you will graduate but currently your profile does not meet whatever criteria is being used for graduation. 

If they wont graduate secured card, you will not qualify for unsecured card with them at this time. 

Deal with negatives just like everyone else stated and be patient. It will happen eventually, but you will need to clean up your CR a bit

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.