Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I pay a collection from 2013?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I pay a collection from 2013?

I have 4 collections in my account and the most expensive is for $1,100 from medical in 2013. I just read that after 7 years they dissapear? Also I noticed the latest collection agency is from August 2018 so next week will be 2 years and it should not affect as much, right? So maybe I'll deal with the other debts and leave this one alone? I paid one collection today for $900 and just paid $499, so now I'll worry about the other 2 collections. The others are $396 and $597 so they're manageable.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I pay a collection from 2013?

Hi @Anonymous 

Whether you pay or not is a personal decision that you'll have to figure out. 7 years from the date of first delinquency is when it should fall off. You'll need to figure out that date. Also, some collection agencies try and advance that date so they can report the debt longer. Im not sure what the significance of the 2 years you reference. In my state, there's a 4 year statute of limitations the creditor has to sue. Good luck!

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I just read somewhere in this forum that the impact of a collection does not have much points after 2 years

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks, I just read somewhere in this forum that the impact of a collection does not have much points after 2 years

30d and maybe 60d lates lose their impact after 2 years. Just thenpresence of having CAs and COs hurt the entire 7 years and moreso if they keep reporting, as they will certainly keep your scores supressed.

I also have very old debt nearing the 7 year mark. I personally have chosen to work on items that are furthest from falling off and working my way backwards because if it was going to fall off while still working on other baddies, I would have felt it was a waste if resources. Of course, if you have the spare resources, it is still your debt, and it probably would feel good to just be done with it. Not to say I may never deal with those debts, just that I am trying to rebuild currently, so I am working on what will actually improve my scores instead of what feels good right now. Just remember, you may not see much progress while working on baddies with the ones nearing their drop off are still reporting. You will see the most positive impact once the last baddie is gone. So just hang in there is you chose to leave it alone!

If you are looking to app for a mortgage before they drop off, do note that any unpaid debts will almost certainly need to be paid, even if they are near dropping off your CRs. Just something to keep in mind if you have a specific timeline.

Lastly, nothing restarts the 7 years reporting window. What can be reset is the SOL to be sued for said debts. If you make a partial payment, promise to pay, or possibly various other reasons, that can reset the SOL. So before making contact with a creditor, be certain you are going to pay it!

Good luck!

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, I am working backwards too. I can't wait to get rid of these 4 collections

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep! I can't wait for my baddies to fall off too. You may need to contact the oc-original creditor to make sure the accurate dates are on the report and it ages off properly.

@Anonymous great points!

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep! I can't wait for my baddies to fall off too. You may need to contact the oc-original creditor to make sure the accurate dates are on the report and it ages off properly.

Dang! Ok I'll worry about that last lol hopefully it falls off by the time I get around to it

Message 7 of 12
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

What month were the original COs reported? Whatever month and year they first went delinquent and never got back current is the DOFD and add 7 years to that to know when they drop off.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, thanks! I'll look into the exact dates

Message 9 of 12
periferel
Established Member

just a heads up. the site for a free annual credit report (annualcreditreport.com or something, you can google it easily) is allowing a free WEEKLY report through to next april.

i did it yesterday, and on the transunion one on my two baddies (near 7 year old chargeoffs) transunion lists the month/year they will be deleted. this eliminates some of the guesswork about when the actual date is. equifax didn't have it listed, and for some reason experian said i couldn't get my report online only through the mail.

hope that helps!

scores 9/25/2020 between 670-685
cap1 QUICKSILVER $1,100 DISCOVER $1,100 CSP $7,900 FREEDOM FLEX $8,100
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.