Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sued by synchrony

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sued by synchrony

Hi everyone. Looking for some insight. Last year my job restructured bonuses and I lost hours but thankfully didn't lose my job. I did let all of my credit cards go and just made sure to keep the mortgage and car current.

Anyway, I was sued by synchrony for about 5k. I would like to settle if possible. I only have my stimulus money and I'm not sure if that would be enough but I can't make monthly payments at this time.  I need to file an answer and I'm not quite sure what to do. Do I email the attorney on the paperwork and offer the settlement, do I file my answer offering the settlement there or something completely different? 

Thanks for the help, I'm completely clueless in this situation!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Sued by synchrony

In your answer to the court, do you plan to deny the debt or admit to it?

Offering a settlement agreement before the court likely will be asserted as an admission of validity.

Normally, settlement negotitions are separate from court filings.

I would recommend contacting their attorney and making offers without admission of validity of the debt.

If they agree and you then settle, they will notify the court and the civil action will be dismissed.

Message 2 of 8
user365735
Regular Contributor

I'm being sued by boa. I called the lawyer and tried to negotiate, but they only went from 6k to 4200. I think I messed up by saying I'm employeed working about 35 hours a week. They said Great, at 6k we can do a monthly payment plan of xx for xx months... So keep that in mind when you call to settle. After a few back and forths they offered 4200$. I think if I lied and said I was unemployed or said part time it would of helped. I also said I live with my parents.. lol don't do this! I was really nervous..like I was talking to a lawyer who was going to take me to court. In all honesty they are just customer service reps in a call center.

Since my time was up I answered the summons saying I don't agree to the final dollar amount. that gives me more time to try and settle or file bankruptcy before it hits my public record.

Message 3 of 8
user365735
Regular Contributor

Also did synchrony ever try and settle with you? There are alot of

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone. Looking for some insight. Last year my job restructured bonuses and I lost hours but thankfully didn't lose my job. I did let all of my credit cards go and just made sure to keep the mortgage and car current.

Anyway, I was sued by synchrony for about 5k. I would like to settle if possible. I only have my stimulus money and I'm not sure if that would be enough but I can't make monthly payments at this time.  I need to file an answer and I'm not quite sure what to do. Do I email the attorney on the paperwork and offer the settlement, do I file my answer offering the settlement there or something completely different? 

Thanks for the help, I'm completely clueless in this situation!

posts saying synchrony offered settlements 30-40%.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

They never attempted to settle but I also recieved 2 other summons over the weekend for my target account and discover. I had hoped to settle my accounts one by one but now I think I might have to consider bankruptcy as I read that could stop the legal procedings. 

My court has a downloadable form for filing an answer (below). If this is all of the information it requests, I don't have to file a long drawn out answer, do I? I was going to deny and look at the bankruptcy benefits through the legal plan at my job.

Thank you

DEFENDANT’S ANSWER (SMALL CLAIMS OR DEBT CLAIM CASE)

This Answer is made by ______________________________________________________________, Defendant.
Defendant denies all of the Plaintiff’s allegations and demand that the allegations be proven.
Other Answer (describe other defenses, if any):

Respectfully submitted,

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much do you owe Target and Discover? A better question would be how much debt are you in and to who. You can deny the debt and force the creditor/lawyer to validate the debt to the court. Not sure how much time that will buy you though. You would just sign your name and submit it based on the form you shared. Have you contacted them and asked them to settle out of court? The worst thing to do would be not to respond at all because when that happens it's almost always a default judgement against you. Then can come wage garnishments/bank accounts being frozen etc.. 

Message 6 of 8
jnbowmar
New Contributor

Bankrupcy is actually way easier to recover from fico scoring wise, youll have great credit again within a couple years, instead of the 7 and half it takes for charge offs to stop ruining your credit.

the frair isssac corporation, in their infinate wisdom must consider it more responsible, even tho it is certainly not. 

Message 7 of 8
CyberChick
Contributor

Hmm... I use those stimulus checks to file bankruptcy. If it were only one lawsuit, I'd probably file the answer and settle. But since you have already had to make so many adjustments and cut back on things. Your situation sounds like it is barely holding on. If you had some kind of family emergency or something with the house, you'd be in trouble having to rob peter to pay paul. I'd file BK.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.