Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion on what to do.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Suggestion on what to do.

I have a Verizon Wireless account that I think is really hurting me but not sure how to go about fighting it. Maybe a DV letter? I know the account is mine but the charges are bogus and I have not been able to get them to change it by calling them. I was with Alltel before Verizon bought them out...well they had a refer a friend program...well over the course of a year I ended up getting a lot of credits from them because a lot of people know me and when they switched to Alltel they would put me down as a referrer...well when Verizon took over they decided all those credits that Alltell gave me fair and square where not valid because according to them "you can only have a total of 3 credits a year" So I ended up getting hit with $800+ worth of charges for credits that I they said I didn't qualify for even though Alltell issued them....plus my bill that was due..All in all I owed them about 1100, I couldn't pay for it and refuse to pay for the back charges so they tacked on some disconnect fees, early termination fees (when they closed my account) and now I show to owe them about 1400+ dollars..Any suggestions on how I can take care of this? The account shows open in 2009 but not sure when the last activity is shown (pulled a 3in1 from a FAKO before I start coming here). Any suggestions would be helpful and if possible maybe even a sample letter if DV is the way I should go. I know their are plenty of samples around but how do I taylor this to get them to drop those charges. I don't mind paying the balance that was due, or even the early term fee..But not anything else.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Suggestion on what to do.

YES DV First.  Keep all copies of everything you do.  Don't do anything online or over the phone.

Then go to the BBB and make a complaint!  That's is total b.s. and I cannot believe they did that.  I know you know this now, but you should have fought this then, but it's too late to look back.  I don't blame you for not paying and being mad.  But if you just lay down and take it they are going to continue to win this battle.

I would also complain to the attorney general.  I would write letters to CEO's of verizon until the cows came home.

That company gave you those credits as you say, fair and square so how can Verizon come along and change the policy?  Do they have it in writing somewhere that you only get 3 a year or did they pull that out of their you-know-what?

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The DV process is a debt collection practices matter under the FDCPA, and only applies to debt collectors, not to original creditors.  So, no, you cant send them a DV request.

Your issue is the accuracy of the items they have reported to the CRA.  Accuracy of information in your CR is addressed by way of filing a dispute under one of the two dispute processes authorized under the FCRA.  You can either file a dispute through the CRA, or you can file a direct dispute with the creditor, and leave the CRA out of the dispute process.  Your choice.

A dispute must include information supporting your contention that the reported information is inaccurate.  It then triggers a 30 or 45 day period in which the dispute must be investigated and the results reported back to you. 

However, the dispute process is not a legal proceeding, so you cant use it to compel the creditor to provide documentation in support of their statement that they verify the accuracy of the reported information.  If you dispute and they verify the accuracy of the disputed information, to obtain a third-party review of the documents supporting their position requires the initiation of legal action.  You essentially get one shot at a dispute, so if you pursue that process, be sure to be as complete in your documentation as possible.  Since the CRAs rarely forward all of your documentation to the creditor, my advise would be to use the direct dispute process, and thus ensure that all documentation is received by the creditor.

Message 3 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto. A DV won't work because they are the OC.

OP, do you have anything showing these credits? At the least, you can still get copies of your old Alltel statements and write the CEO as mentioned. Show him that the credits were valid to at least drop the balance by $800. You can then PFD the difference. I had a successful PFD by Verizon Wireless, so it is possible.

Message 4 of 6
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

I would agree with the statement above...

I would be sending mails to the CEO's ... this is completely uncalled for and i have never seen something like this happen..... i know the account shows open, but how long ago did you default with them? 

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

The DV process is a debt collection practices matter under the FDCPA, and only applies to debt collectors, not to original creditors.  So, no, you cant send them a DV request.

Your issue is the accuracy of the items they have reported to the CRA.  Accuracy of information in your CR is addressed by way of filing a dispute under one of the two dispute processes authorized under the FCRA.  You can either file a dispute through the CRA, or you can file a direct dispute with the creditor, and leave the CRA out of the dispute process.  Your choice.

A dispute must include information supporting your contention that the reported information is inaccurate.  It then triggers a 30 or 45 day period in which the dispute must be investigated and the results reported back to you. 

However, the dispute process is not a legal proceeding, so you cant use it to compel the creditor to provide documentation in support of their statement that they verify the accuracy of the reported information.  If you dispute and they verify the accuracy of the disputed information, to obtain a third-party review of the documents supporting their position requires the initiation of legal action.  You essentially get one shot at a dispute, so if you pursue that process, be sure to be as complete in your documentation as possible.  Since the CRAs rarely forward all of your documentation to the creditor, my advise would be to use the direct dispute process, and thus ensure that all documentation is received by the creditor.

Although I agree with the statement that I highlight I must point out that it will not make this $1400+ bill go away.  You need to fight these charges with the OC which is Verizon.   And please be sure to get on this now before they sell it to a collection agency and charge this off.  It can make it harder (if not impossible) to reverse charges after a charge off.

You need to get copies of whatever bills you can.  Get copies of bills showing the credits.  Get bills showing the reversals.  I am curious; how long after Alltel gave you the credit did Verizon reverse it?

Write to the CEO of Verizon, write to the BB, and write to your AG.  Mail everything certified return receipt.  If you get no response, I would contact your local media.  They all have those “Shame on You” type segments. 

And if you do get them to give you a credit, you need to push them to remove all late fees as well as any reported lates on your credit report!

GL with this!!!  Keep us posted!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.