Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suntrust/Truist - Get loan out of deferment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Suntrust/Truist - Get loan out of deferment

So we have an auto loan with Suntrust and it was current. They offered a corona deferment and we accepted it for two month (April & May) and funneled the money normal used for the truck payment to Credit Card debt. Fast forward to last week (6/4/20), we are refinancing the home to get a much lower interest rate and were auto declined because "you have a loan in deferment". The comments/Terms of teh loan say "never late pays as agreed, deferred, resumes July 2020". So i call suntrust and speak with the loan dept, and they say "sure , if you wanna make those payments and then send an email asking for the 'extension' to be removed you should be good. so i made the two skipped payments, and the current months payment (none of which were technically due, unless they remove the extension). it is now 6/12 and there has been no modifications to the loan, hence nothing is getting changed on the report . 

What can i do to get that "deferred" comment/terms removed before my refi falls through?

Let this be a warning to folks..... even though my SCORE isnt affected, the sheer fact that the loan has a defered comment is blocking my refi.

#BeWary

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Suntrust/Truist - Get loan out of deferment

More than likely Suntrust only reports once a month to the CRA's. You may call Suntrust and see if they can push your data sooner to update your reports. Alternately, see if your refi lender will accept a letter from Suntrust stating that they have removed the deferment and that you are current. If they will accept that, then get Suntrust to send you the letter. You might even see if a call with the you, the refi lender, and Suntrust could resolve this issue.

Good Luck!

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats kinda what i was trying..... when i contacted them and was told email xyz@suntrust.com .... i asked for the extension/deferement to be remove, credit report to be updated ASAP and for a letter stating account was not in deferement. I had to call again today because in 8 days nothing has been done..... loan is still in deferement and by me paying the 'skipped payments' it just moved the next payment due date to october...... i am currently waiting on a call from a manager that could take up to 48 hours. The loan payments are normally due on the 16th, so i am hoping if we get this done by monday/tuesday it will push to the bureas pretty quick.

Message 3 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I was with SunTrust for many years. Any problems I had I went straight to the branch. When I applied for the ST Cash Rewards. EQ screwed it up saying I had a split file. The CSR called their rep at EQ and said there was no split file. She went off on them and within minutes. I was fixed and I got approved. Took her an hr. But she got the job done. Its best to go to a branch. They have never failed me when I was with themnand went to the same CSR each time. Results were done and out the door.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah we dont have but one branch in AL and its 4+ hours away.

Message 5 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

yeah we dont have but one branch in AL and its 4+ hours away.

Ouch. I dont read all of the post in the thread I started in Credit Cards about how My Creditor is Helping me. But a few have asked for help and it seems some are getting the same round around as yourself. Theres no fine print in most of the Covid helping banners on all these sites. Hope you can get it worked out. Its like yeah we'll help you but theres a catch after the fact. Good luck!

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The sad part is i didnt TECHNICALLY require the assistance, but since it WAS offered it was much more prudent to use those funds for higher interest debt. 

#BadIdea

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.