cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to fix issues on cred report need help please!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to fix issues on cred report need help please!!

Hello,

This is my first time posting.  I would appreciate any good advice.

For the past year I have been trying to rebuild my credit.  In 2005 I lost my job and my wife was not working. 

I had a home that went into preforclosure in 2005, but was sold before foreclosure.  This is showing on my credit report as a preforclosure. How do I/can I remove this?

I have a judgement from a community assoc.  but they were paid when I sold the house.  Does this hurt me? Can this be removed?  It does show that it was paid.

My mother in law put me as an authorized usewr on her Sears and Citi credit cards about 3 years ago.  Two years ago she had to stop working and the bills went into collections.  I just noticed them on my credit report.  Can I be removed from this as an authorized user? Both bills are in excess of $3,000!

4 small (under $200 each) medical bills in collections

2 phone bill collections (under $200 each)

Is it possible to get the paid collections off of credit report?  I have paid off about 7 but they are still showing.

I also have a student loan that was defaulted but I entered a repayment program.  It is now in good standing but deferred because I am in Grad School.  should I try to pay this down?

Please help. I need to fix my credit because I am desperately trying to by a home (tired of paying rent).

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Trying to fix issues on cred report need help please!!

Paid collections stay on the report for 7 years. You can try GW letters to see if they will remove them since they are paid.

What state are you in, what is the DOFD/DOLA of the items?

More information is needed to better help you.
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in Virginia
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

DOFD/DOLA on which items?  Most of the items except the new phone collections and student loans have a DOLA of 2006.
Message 4 of 18
guiness56
Epic Contributor

SOL for open accounts in Virginia is 3 years. Can you give more information on each account?
Message 5 of 18
guiness56
Epic Contributor

For the collections, if you do not dispute that they are yours, you can try a PFD. I would go through the OC if at all possible.

As for the foreclosure, I am not sure. I think you can dispute it as paid before foreclosure.

As far a being an authorized user, have yourself removed.
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

dadov3 wrote:
Hello,

This is my first time posting.  I would appreciate any good advice.

For the past year I have been trying to rebuild my credit.  In 2005 I lost my job and my wife was not working. 

I had a home that went into preforclosure in 2005, but was sold before foreclosure.  This is showing on my credit report as a preforclosure. How do I/can I remove this?

I have a judgement from a community assoc.  but they were paid when I sold the house.  Does this hurt me? Can this be removed?  It does show that it was paid.

Yes, a PR(judgment, tax lein, etc) is very hard on your scores. They remain for 7 years from filing date. I have read about people getting them removed early with the approval/help of the attorney for the plantiff who got the judgment. Am not sure how that works.

My mother in law put me as an authorized usewr on her Sears and Citi credit cards about 3 years ago.  Two years ago she had to stop working and the bills went into collections.  I just noticed them on my credit report.  Can I be removed from this as an authorized user? Both bills are in excess of $3,000!

Yes, she needs to call Sears and Citi and have you removed as an AU. You may be able to. Then wait a few days and dispute as "not mine". They should be removed.

4 small (under $200 each) medical bills in collections

Google "whychat hipaa" and read that. First, I'd talk to the OC and see if they were sold or assigned. If only assigned, ask the OC if they can pull the accounts out of collections and allow you to pay them directly. What is DOFD? With medical, date of service is the DOFD.

2 phone bill collections (under $200 each)

What is the DOFD/DOLA? SOL for your state? You can find it here -

If they are cell phones, that is Federal and Federal SOL is only 2 years for cell phones.

How to deal with them would depend on the above information.

Is it possible to get the paid collections off of credit report?  I have paid off about 7 but they are still showing.

Collections, paid or unpaid, remain for 7-7.5 years from DOFD. The only way to get them removed early is sending a GW letter to the CA.

I also have a student loan that was defaulted but I entered a repayment program.  It is now in good standing but deferred because I am in Grad School.  should I try to pay this down?

Please help. I need to fix my credit because I am desperately trying to by a home (tired of paying rent).

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow!  Thanks so much!  Working on those suggestions today

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the quick response!

So what does that mean exactly SOL? It should be removed after 3 years?  How would a 3 year SOL help me.
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOL for open accounts in Virginia is 3 years. Can you give more information on each account?

Sure!  Here is accounts info:

Medical:

DOFD:  1/2004   DOLD:   5/2007
              1/2004                     ?
               2/2005                     ?

Iknow I contacted them all last year because my goal was to payy them alloff.  I was only able to pay off 7 med bills. Which still remain on my credit.

Phone:
Verizon:  paying off next week
Tmobile:  DOFD:  12/2007   DOLD:  3/2008

Student loan:
 defferred as of 2/2008..shouls I pay this down orleave it deffered.I finish school next spring and I have until fall 2009 to enter into repayment

Mother in law's card: AU
Sears: I will have her call them to remove me as AU
Citi:  now with collection agency
DOFD: 1/2006  DOLD:  5/2007

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.