Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do next? Help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What should I do next? Help!

Hi all,  I'm just getting to the point where my credit is good, and I only had one baddie left until this...

I have one new medical bill that I paid 75% of, but I've been disputing the entire bill with my insurance company.  I had a lot of run around because my insurance company was telling me I needed to get records from my physician, who sent me to the lab, who sent me to their parent hospital, etc., more circles.

In the meantime, the remaining $100 just got sent to a collections company. My insurance company told me not to pay the balance until the appeal is completed, because it will be more difficult to have the hospital reimburse me.  I called the hospital and explained everything and asked them to pull the account back until the appeal is complete, but they said they can't. I will still continue the appeal because $400 is a lot of money, but at this point I just want to pay this remaining balance before it hits my credit report. I can't pay it online (I tried).

Should I just try and pay the hospital directly through customer service? Should I call the collection agency and pay them directly and hope it doesn't show up on my CR? Should I mail the payment to the hospital directly with my invoice and then send a DV letter to the CA immediately?

Help!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What should I do next? Help!

if the hospital wont recall the collector and allow you to pay them in full then I suggest you contact the CA and make arrangements to pay them in full in exchange for not reporting the debt on your CR.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I called ACA and they said it has not reported yet, and that it will not, with my payment today. He urged me to continue with my appeal.

@gdale6 wrote:

if the hospital wont recall the collector and allow you to pay them in full then I suggest you contact the CA and make arrangements to pay them in full in exchange for not reporting the debt on your CR.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update on this, I actually paid the hospital accidentally, but with the CA account number, so I then emailed them to cancel the payment. Then I called and paid ACA. In the end, the hospital pulled back my account from ACA and ACA refunded my payment. This is the 2nd time that an OC has told me that they don't pull back accounts, but when I went online and paid them directly anyway, the OC recalled the account from the CA. I think if I ever get into a bind like this again and the CA will not allow PFD, I may just try to pay the OC anyway. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.