Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wishing for Positive Movement on a Slow Rebuild

tag
Missy2008

Wishing for Positive Movement on a Slow Rebuild

Hello,

New to Forums and currently looking for accountability and any advise to re-enforce me here. Currently I've been making slow movement throughout the years and cannot seem to make much lead way. I always make sure to pay all accounts on time and in good standing but only have been approved for low card offers and with using them is keeping my score way down. 

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding after lossing work. I had 2 cards with Capital One go into charge off after trying to work with them 4 months and currently on a payment plan for one and paying off the other that's still being reported on my credit as a charge off. 

I have 4 other low cards (2) Credit Ones - 40% utilization, (1) Discover - paid , and (1) TCU - 50% utilization; card with only my Discover card really doing anything to increase my limit to help show anything. I'm honestly not sure where to start as my credit score is struggling and I'm just trying to figure out where to start trying to keep working at this to make since. I'm currently on track to payoff one card every 2 months but really need some advise to move the meter while doing so as my cards are low balances and have nothing really to help push it up. 

Credit One cards are a complete waste of time and digging my way but its still no increase limit to even speak about. I was thinging about trying for another Any Reason (Line of Credit) to payoff one of my higher balanced cards but not sure if its the rite option as it will only free up a balance. It would help my score but what would I need to do to start building to gain some actual cards worth trying for as I've been reverting back to the same boat after trying for 4 years now. 

No collections / 2 charged off Capital One cards being paid off

Mortgage, Car Loan, Credit Cards, Student Loans

Credit scores are all low 600+ which can't seem to make leadway even with paying everything down.

Any help will be greatful! 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

Re: Wishing for Positive Movement on a Slow Rebuild

Welcome to the forum. Getting more credit to try to fix problems isn't a sound approach and generally just leads to more problems. With suppressed scores and charge offs on your reports, you're not likely to see any increases on your current accounts and any new approvals you might land are going to likely be for amounts that aren't helpful enough to make an impact, and/or come with predatory interest rates. Not to mention your scores will tumble further for adding accounts.

Your scores are being penalized the most by the charged off accounts. Until they are paid in full, they are being scored at 100% utilization so getting those paid in full would be first on my list. Next would be to get your individual card utilization under 29% and aim to get your overall (aggregate) utilization under 9%. 

Message 2 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Missy2008 wrote:

Hello,

New to Forums and currently looking for accountability and any advise to re-enforce me here. Currently I've been making slow movement throughout the years and cannot seem to make much lead way. I always make sure to pay all accounts on time and in good standing but only have been approved for low card offers and with using them is keeping my score way down. 

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding after lossing work. I had 2 cards with Capital One go into charge off after trying to work with them 4 months and currently on a payment plan for one and paying off the other that's still being reported on my credit as a charge off. 

I have 4 other low cards (2) Credit Ones - 40% utilization, (1) Discover - paid , and (1) TCU - 50% utilization; card with only my Discover card really doing anything to increase my limit to help show anything. I'm honestly not sure where to start as my credit score is struggling and I'm just trying to figure out where to start trying to keep working at this to make since. I'm currently on track to payoff one card every 2 months but really need some advise to move the meter while doing so as my cards are low balances and have nothing really to help push it up. 

Credit One cards are a complete waste of time and digging my way but its still no increase limit to even speak about. I was thinging about trying for another Any Reason (Line of Credit) to payoff one of my higher balanced cards but not sure if its the rite option as it will only free up a balance. It would help my score but what would I need to do to start building to gain some actual cards worth trying for as I've been reverting back to the same boat after trying for 4 years now. 

No collections / 2 charged off Capital One cards being paid off

Mortgage, Car Loan, Credit Cards, Student Loans

Credit scores are all low 600+ which can't seem to make leadway even with paying everything down.

Any help will be greatful! 

1. It's a marathon, not a sprint. It's going to take time.

2. You're not going to be able to "move the meter" rapidly.

3. It's great that you can pay off one card every 2 months. That will help.

4. I don't know what TCU is but I assume it's a credit union. You might be able to pick up a couple of quick points by paying that one down from 50% to 48%.

5. Concentrate on getting the Credit One cards paid, and don't use them again.

6. See if you can supplement your income or cut expenses.

7. You can send occasional verification letters to the credit bureaus, on the chargeoffs. Sometimes you might get lucky and get it taken off your report.

Total revolving limits 589000 (521k reporting) FICO 8: EQ 706 TU 714 EX 721

Message 3 of 6
azgal
Established Member

As a person who has also been rebuilding, the good news is you have some positives about your current situation.

You have a mortgage, a car loan, and a student loan. Continuing to pay those on time will definitely help your credit profile and gradually help your scores to grow. It always helps to have a good mix of types of accounts (credit cards, mortgage, car loan).

You have a Discover card, and from your post it sounds like they have been giving you some credit line increases. That's so helpful to reduce your utilization.

Paying down the Cap 1 charge offs is also a smart move. It should help your score once they show as a zero balance.

I agree with the advice of others who responded about Credit One. Once you pay down those balances, don't use them. And when your scores start to improve, you can eventually close them. I also had Credit One cards and recently closed them. It's a great feeling.

I started out rebuilding in the low 500s and am now in the low 700s. I created a budget, used my cards sparingly, and kept my utilization low. 

Just wanted to give you some kudos for all your hard work so far! Best of luck to you.

Message 4 of 6
FicoMike0
Valued Contributor

Ditto what the others said. You are on the right path. When you get the utilization under control, you'll see score inprovements quickly.

Message 5 of 6
Missy2008

Thank you so much for calming my nerves. I'm currently on a budget to have the majority of my utilization paid off by the end of the year. Thank you. I just honestly don't know next steps after to continue to build and make sure it lasts as my card offers over time have not been too high to slip into this again over time. I will try to increase on dates that were suggested and keep my utilization down since I won't use the Credit Ones again. My plan is to pay off and then ask for them to remove the annual fees because that continues to charge fees. 

Thank you all for your help. My goal is to build and start my business credit. I'm currently at 635.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.