cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would adding an auto loan help my scores?

tag
Shellie
Valued Contributor

Would adding an auto loan help my scores?

All I have are credit cards and student loans.  Would adding an auto loan to the mixx help my scores?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Would adding an auto loan help my scores?

Student loans should be enough for installment loans on your mix.  I certainly wouldn't buy a car just to try and raise your scores.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 16
xaiduz114
Regular Contributor

I'm not sure, but it might hurt, depending on how much you owe with the student loans and credit cards. If the balances left owing are low, maybe? You have to think of your debt to income ratio. If it's high, you're less likely to get another loan, and if you do, you'll probably get less-than-desirable rates.

But I'm no guru on this. Just something I've seen. Also, it depends on your credit file.

Starting Score: EQ 478 | EX N/A | TU 540 - 5/2014
Current Score: EQ 475 | EX 582 | TU 589
Goal Score: 700 by 5/2015 - My Credit Rebuilding Journey!
Collections (MED): DCS Financial (4) | Columbia Collectors (1) |
Dynamic Collectors, Inc (2) | Professional Credit Services (2) |
CMRE Financial Services (1) | Total: 10
Charge-offs: IQCU (1)
Cards I'm aiming to get:
Unitus Community CU SecuredBofA Secured
Message 3 of 16
Shellie
Valued Contributor

I already have a car loan but the bank doesn't report.  So I'm already spending the money.  But it isn't factored in to my debt to income so that would probably not help right now.  I need to pay down my UTL it's at about 40% or so right now.  It's easy for me to keep the store cards paid off but the CapOnes get used a lot more often so the are always carrying higher balances.  I have 7.5% on my car.  I just got lucky because I got that loan when my scores were around the mid-500 range and the 7.5% is their standard rate they give all customers regardless of score.

I owe around $10k on my student loans. I make about $25k at my job. 

Message 4 of 16
IamB2
Established Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

Student loans should be enough for installment loans on your mix.  I certainly wouldn't buy a car just to try and raise your scores.

+1

Shogun is right. Student Loans are considered installment loans, therefore you already have that type of a loan on your account. This will not help your Account Mix feature of the FICO score. 

With that said, however, another Positive TL couldn't hurt. Whether your score will improve right away, however, it is hard to say. It depends on many factors. You mentioned that you are already paying for the car, just isn't being reported and thus not factored in your DTI. When you add a loan that is reported, it will be part of your DTI.

Bottom line: I wouldn't add another loan just to [potentially] increase my score. 

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 5 of 16
EW800
Valued Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

+1 big time on that.  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 6 of 16
Shellie
Valued Contributor

I have a bunch of store cards and 2 CapOne's & student loans.  I have a car loan with a bank that doesn't report and no mortgage.

Message 7 of 16
JennaD075
Contributor

@Shellie wrote:

I have a bunch of store cards and 2 CapOne's & student loans.  I have a car loan with a bank that doesn't report and no mortgage.

Why does your bank not report your car loan? Do they report any loans?

Message 8 of 16
Shellie
Valued Contributor

They just don't report.  I wasn't given a reason.  I was told from the git that they did not report.   

Message 9 of 16
xaiduz114
Regular Contributor

@Shellie wrote:

ALL of my bf's loans through his lender are still reporting on his CR, and none have any late payments or defaults. If the loan is in good standing and has no lates, I might ask the lender if they will report to all three agencies. Not guaranteed they will, but it's worth a shot, I think!

Starting Score: EQ 478 | EX N/A | TU 540 - 5/2014
Current Score: EQ 475 | EX 582 | TU 589
Goal Score: 700 by 5/2015 - My Credit Rebuilding Journey!
Collections (MED): DCS Financial (4) | Columbia Collectors (1) |
Dynamic Collectors, Inc (2) | Professional Credit Services (2) |
CMRE Financial Services (1) | Total: 10
Charge-offs: IQCU (1)
Cards I'm aiming to get:
Unitus Community CU SecuredBofA Secured
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.