cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creditors re-aging an account--is it legal?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

creditors re-aging an account--is it legal?

I have an old debt from a Bank of America credit card. The limit was 500.00 and it became delinquent in 2004. Now they have a collection agency opening a special account with a date claiming that I opened this revolving account in 2007. I, according to them have missed 33 payments. My score is suffering badly from this. They have the original amount as 2,400, not 500. I was wondering what I can possibly do to get this changed. Is it legal for them to open a revolving account without my consent and disguise the date like that?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: creditors re-aging an account--is it legal?

If you could list more specific information like DOFD, DOLA, it would be more helpful.  If a CA is now reporting it, the date opened would be the date the CA opened the account, it would still go by the DOFD.

The amount could very well be 2400 if it went delinquent in 2004.  Charges are added monthly.

What state are you in?
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: creditors re-aging an account--is it legal?

I agree...they date the CA has...as opened...might as well be the date it was turned over to them...not the date you account with BofA was opened...and you can be late EVERY month...after an account if CO'd...CA add their own fees....and can charge interest EVERY month...

An account is only re-aging when the DOFD is changed...causing the drop off date...to be further than it originally was...look back on your past reports...to see if the drop off date has changed at all...
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.