cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If OC is no longer in business, does that change the HIPAA process?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

If OC is no longer in business, does that change the HIPAA process?

I have a medical collection for $50 reporting as sent to a CA. This is from treatment by a dermatologist in October 2007. Shortly after I saw the physician, they went out of business. The $50 is for my portion of the deductible on my health insurance. It is still unpaid.

The OC apparantly sent the balance of their accounts to a local CA when they went out of business. My question is if the fact that the OC is no longer in business if the HIPAA process is any different. Part of the process requires me to PIF to the OC, but this is impossible since they are no longer in business.

Also, would I be better off to just offer a PFD to the CA?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: If OC is no longer in business, does that change the HIPAA process?

Welcome to the forums!

I see your username is "WishingForAHouse", are you looking to buy a house right now? 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, I am hoping to buy a house, but it doesn't look like it will be any time soon based on my lousy credit. I had a serious medical condition that I finally recovered from two years ago. I make almost $200K a year now, and can't get a mortgage because my credit is so horrible.
Message 3 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

You can use the HIPAA letter process. Here are the first few steps.

1.) Opt Out of two things: Your Credit Reports and All Creditors. The first one ensures that the CRAs will not sell your personal data to anyone else (haha…no more data mining). The second one will prevent JDBs (and CAs) from buying and selling bogus collections.

Use this link to opt-out of your credit reports

OPT-OUT CREDIT REPORTS (or call 1.888.567.8688)

Use this link to opt-out from all of your CURRENT creditors that you're in GOOD standing with. Do not attempt to opt-out with any CAs or current creditors that you're in BAD standing with (i.e. charge-offs, or currently late).

OPT-OUT ALL CREDITORS

2.) Also, be sure to update your personal information with the CRA's before attempting to reestablish your credit.

3.) Send the pre-HIPAA dispute letter to the CRA ('s) CM (no RR, this is the only letter in the HIPAA process where you will not send it CMRRR) and wait up to 35 days for the results of the their investigation(s). Be sure to handwrite this letter (and the envelop too) using personalized stationary and teal blue ink. If your med collection is deleted, you're finished. If its not deleted, post again in this thread for more advice. Good luck!

PRE-HIPAA MEDICAL DISPUTE LETTER

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am happy to report success on this account. I originally sent a PFD for this account to the CA, and they mailed my letter back with a big red rubber stamp, "UNACCEPTIBLE." Against better judgement, I went ahead and sent payment to the CA, waited for the check to clear, then sent the Pre-HIPAA dispute to all CRAs via CM. In less than a week, this item was deleted from all three!

Now I am worried, can I expect it to be reinserted again?

Thanks!

Message 5 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't worry, though your method was dangerous.
Message 6 of 10
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

Was it dangerous because she had already started the hipaa process, and then paid? I remember you told me that we can pay either OC or CA before starting the hipaa process, correct?
Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 7 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Did I say that, really?Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 10
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

If i'm not mistaken!?!? Smiley Wink

Anyways that was in the past, best thing to do is just follow hipaa, so that we will be covered by hipaa!

Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

This only applies after your HIPAA dispute is conplete and you need to send the OC letter.

( If the OC has changed ownership or moved or gone BK, send it certified WITHOUT the return receipt requested.) Do NOT "fax" or "e-mail" anything.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.