cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Totally confused on HIPAA process, what next?

tag
MizzB
Regular Contributor

Totally confused on HIPAA process, what next?

I have five medical collections three of which I PIF four weeks ago (paid CA not OC). I disputed these collections two weeks ago without considering the HIPAA process Smiley Sad. Now I'm not sure what to do. I just opted out and wanted to go through the HIPAA process if the CRA do not remove the collections. Should I send the Pre-HIPAA letter considering that I've already disputed the items? If so, do I send it now or if it comes back verified? I'm so confused and hoping I didn't somehow mess up this process.

Message Edited by MizzB on 05-10-2009 10:20 PM
*********************************************************************************
Current Score (04/20/20): EQ:673; TU: 691; EX: 688 (FICO)
Starting Score (01/20/17): EQ:511 (FICO); TU: 521 (FAKO)
CapOne QS MC: $10k | Chase Sapphire Preferred: $14.5K | OpenSky Visa: $500 | Green Dot MC $300 | Green Dot MC2: $300 | AMEX Gold CC: NPSL | AMEX Platinum CC: NPSL | Amex Gold Delta Skymiles: $3k | DiscoverIT Chrome: $5.6K
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Totally confused on HIPAA process, what next?

Are these collections marked as disputed by the consumer on your reports? You'll have to wait for their investigations to be completed. It can take up to 35 days from the date the disputes were received.
Message 2 of 11
MizzB
Regular Contributor

No they aren't. They just show as an upaid collection. Upon completion of the CRA investigation, if they are not deleted do I proceed with the pre-HIPAA letter? Thanks.
Message Edited by MizzB on 04-21-2009 10:35 PM
*********************************************************************************
CapOne QS MC: $10k | Chase Sapphire Preferred: $14.5K | OpenSky Visa: $500 | Green Dot MC $300 | Green Dot MC2: $300 | AMEX Gold CC: NPSL | AMEX Platinum CC: NPSL | Amex Gold Delta Skymiles: $3k | DiscoverIT Chrome: $5.6K
Message 3 of 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

That will depend on how the collection is marked. If after the investigation is completed and the collection is not deleted, if the collection is still not marked as disputed and verified, then yes, you can send the pre-HIPAA letter. Be sure to save a hard copy of the report that does not show the collection being properly notated.
Message 4 of 11
MizzB
Regular Contributor

Well my collection came back from TU. Not really sure how to interprete this. Should I go forward with the pre-hippa letter? I'm really very very confused. This collection is showing up twice with an account number that is one digit off. It is a legitamate collection, but only the one is legitamate. Any guidance what to do next? Pre-Hippa letter? BBB complaint for invalid collection? Any help would be appreciated.

I C SYSTEMS COLLECTIONS  # XXXXXX

Balance: $ 137

Date Verified: 04/2009

Original Balance: $ 137

Original Creditor: MED1DENTAL HEALTH SERVICES

Past Due: > $ 137 <

Pay Status: >Collection Account<

Account Type: Open

Account Responsibility: Individual

Account Loan Type: Open Account - Collection Agency Attorney

Remark: Account information disputed by consumer

Date placed for collection: 12/2008

Estimated date that this item will be removed: 04/2014

Message 5 of 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I'm a bit confused here, did you send the pre-HIPAA letter already? If not, what did you send the CRAs?
Message 6 of 11
MizzB
Regular Contributor

@fused wrote:
I'm a bit confused here, did you send the pre-HIPAA letter already? If not, what did you send the CRAs?

I'm sorry, I've confused you. I had four medical collections at the time I started this thread (technically five because one is listed twice on my report with a variation in account number). Three of the five collections were paid and dropped of my report when I disputed online with TU. The fourth and fifth collections were also disputed online and returned with the result listed in the post above. Both the fourth and fifth collections are duplicates of one another.

The debt is valid and I can PIF. I just don't know what to do next because I disputed online before I came across the HIPAA process. Now, I'm wondering if I've ruined the HIPAA process by not starting with the Pre-HIPAA letter. My questions are:

1. Should I now send TU the Pre-HIPAA letter or the next letter in the process?
  2. How should I handle the fact that IC Systems is reporting the debt twice on my credit file?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Message 7 of 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Are the collections now marked as "disputed and/or verified" on your reports?
Message 8 of 11
MizzB
Regular Contributor

Hi Fused... Thanks for responding!

My credit report says the following in the remark category "Remark: Account information disputed by consumer." There is also a verified field that says "04/09." The specefic remark is not disputed and verified.

Message 9 of 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Send the pre-HIPAA letters.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.