Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated Med Collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Updated Med Collection

I followed the HIPPA process on a medical collection. They verified and updated the account with a recent balance of $41 showing. What would be my next step from here?
Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Updated Med Collection

Here are the next steps you should take>

Scenario #2: Sincethe CRA “verified” your unpaid collection but the reporting CA did not provide a complete and accurate validation of the account, send this letter to the CA CMRRR.

MEDICAL DV LETTER TO THE CA

After you receive the green card for the Med DV letter to the CA, mail this follow-up dispute letter along with a copy of the green card from the Med DV letter to the CRA(s) CMRRR.

FOLLOW-UP DISPUTE LETTER (2) TO THE CRA'S

Message 8 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Did you follow these steps before you sent the pre-HIPAA medical dispute letter?

1.) Opt Out of two things: Your Credit Reports and All Creditors. The first one ensures that the CRAs will not sell your personal data to anyone else (haha…no more data mining). The second one will prevent JDBs (and CAs) from buying and selling bogus collections.

Use this link to opt-out of your credit reports

OPT-OUT CREDIT REPORTS (or call 1.888.567.8688)

Use this link to opt-out from all of your CURRENT creditors that you're in GOOD standing with. Do not attempt to opt-out with any CAs or current creditors that you're in BAD standing with (i.e. charge-offs, or currently late).

OPT-OUT ALL CREDITORS

2.) Also, be sure to update your personal information with the CRA's before attempting to reestablish your credit.

When did the CRA(s) receive your pre-HIPAA dispute? Has the CA sent you validation of the debt?

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did opt out and all my info had been previously updated.

I'm not sure when they received the pre-hippa dispute letter. I have the card around somewhere. And the CA did not send any validation on the debt.

Message 3 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Can you say it was more than 35 days ago?
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I sent it Feb 21
Message 5 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

One last question before I recommend what you should do. Is this collection marked as "dispute and verified" on your reports?
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It says that item was verified and updated April 2009.
Message 7 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Here are the next steps you should take>

Scenario #2: Sincethe CRA “verified” your unpaid collection but the reporting CA did not provide a complete and accurate validation of the account, send this letter to the CA CMRRR.

MEDICAL DV LETTER TO THE CA

After you receive the green card for the Med DV letter to the CA, mail this follow-up dispute letter along with a copy of the green card from the Med DV letter to the CRA(s) CMRRR.

FOLLOW-UP DISPUTE LETTER (2) TO THE CRA'S

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a bunch! Hopefully I'll see some results.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE:

I followed your instructions and today Experian sent me a letter stating that they already investigated this matter and that the creditor has verified its accuracy. So it's still on there. However, this collection got sent to another CA in the new state that I live in. Where do I go from here? So frustrating! On the other hand TU deleted 4 med collections. yahoo!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.