Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

quick HIPAA question

tag
blondie_keen
New Contributor

quick HIPAA question

ok so i accidently sent my pre-hipaa letters CMRRR to the CRA's!! i have never sent anything certified so when the gal at the grocery store asked if i wanted a return receipt i said sure. i now know that you're not supposed to do that but i've already gotten back the 3 green cards from the CRA's and today i just got a letter back from EQ verifying my PAID medical collection. the audit company's info is listed as well.

what is my next move?? do i wait for the other CRA responses before i go to the next step or can i start it right now?

thanks guys!! 

MAY 2009 FICO SCORES

EQ 639
TU 647
Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: quick HIPAA question

Did you opt-out with the CRAs and your creditors that you are in good standing with? Did you update your personal info on your reports?

Yes, wait for the results from all the CRAs you sent pre-HIPAA letters to. Once these investigations are completed, please post the results in this thread before proceeding with the HIPAA letter process.

Message 2 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

i have an opt out question. (sorry for asking this on your question) but if i am opting out of creditors who i am in good standing with...does that mean like my credit cards? or just medical collections that have been paid?
Message 3 of 43
blondie_keen
New Contributor

yes, i have already opted out of the creditors i'm in good standing with as well as updated my information with all of the CRA's.

i will wait until news from TU and EX come in and will post back

thanks!

ebonygirl: the personalized stationary is supposed to make your letter stand out so a person reads it and not some automated system if the research i've done is correct. if the paper is different and the font/color i think the machine or whatever can't read it...

every creditor needs to be sent the opt-out letter!! i had to send my letters to over 8 different companies!!

hope this helps

MAY 2009 FICO SCORES

EQ 639
TU 647
Message 4 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CRAs scan all disputes they do not read them. You do not want this sooooo. Using blue/green paper & typing in italics can not be scanned.  IMO it is always better to hand write everything!!!  They can not scan handwritting!

CRAs and CCC sell your info to others. If you opt-out they can not do this. Other CAs can not get any info on you or your collections.

The best is to opt-out with at least the CRAs.

Message Edited by HappyDays on 03-14-2009 09:19 AM
Message 5 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

okay thanks. i have opted out on all CRAs i just didn't understand fully the one about the creditors.  the site that was a link for creditors didnt do a good job expaining (at least for me)  about who to send the opt out info to
Message 6 of 43
fused
Moderator Emeritus

You should opt-out only with the creditors you are in GOOD standing with. You do not opt-out with creditors you're in bad standing with.

In sum, do NOT opt-out with collection agencies, comapnies you have a charge-off with, or a creditor that you are currently late with.

Message 7 of 43
blondie_keen
New Contributor

ok, so yesterday in the mail i received letters back from EX and TU. (remember i had already gotten my response from EQ the week before). 

the TU letter states my collection is verified, no change. another page is included with adverse accounts and my medical collection is STILL LISTED!!!

the EX letter is like 16 pages long! they have given me a 2-page insert describing their online process for disputing..and then the rest is my whole complete credit report from them. under the section adverse accounts the medical collection is listed...what does that mean? don't they just tell you if your dispute worked or not??

i would like to know what letter/step to do next please!! do i follow the scenario where the CRA's have validated my PAID medical collection which involves sending a CMRRR to the OC???

ok, so i needed to edit this to clarify i have NOT received any letter whatsoever from the CA yet regarding my pre-hipaa letters to the CRA's. i sent those certified letters feb 28th they (the CA) have until march 31st or so right to send me a letter??? 

thanks!!! hopefully once this is done i'll have a success story!!! 

Message Edited by blondie_keen on 03-18-2009 02:27 AM
MAY 2009 FICO SCORES

EQ 639
TU 647
Message 8 of 43
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I doubt the CA will send you validation, but I would wait until the 31st. Please post again here before proceeding with more HIPAA letters.
Message 9 of 43
blondie_keen
New Contributor

thanks FUSED for the advice!! i will not do a thing until April 1st...Smiley Wink
MAY 2009 FICO SCORES

EQ 639
TU 647
Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.