Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marital Funny - Who's your daddy?!

tag
Hut1
Established Contributor

Marital Funny - Who's your daddy?!

Some of you that have seen previous posts of mine may remember DH has invented a cc approval/limit competition with me. Well, it has now spread to other financial aspects...

Since the moment we married, we've had a joint account. Ordinarily, this wouldn't be an issue, but when I say I don't know how DH's credit  survived before me, I am NOT being dramatic. I remember the convo so well.. I had just moved in and asked about the household bills trying to get an understanding of where and how much I needed to contribute of my little pennies. His response was "umm.. I don't know. I just pay things." What does that even mean????  He didn't know how much his rent was or even when his utilities were due. Smiley Frustrated Long story short, I organized our bills via excel and am miticulous in my process. To hear him tell it, he let's me be meticulous in my process. Ok, so that part's covered. Now, we get to the fun stuff...

I have credit card debt... he has credit card debt.. and the balances are about even. A hail storm deductible here, a teenager totaled car there and next thing ya know, we're both sitting on about $7-$8K cc debt each. The problem is we couldn't agree on the best way to pay them down so it's almost like jumping into the lifeboat while simulataneouly poking holes in it. So, imagine this - you've got $10K depositing into your bank account every month... minus your monthly expenses and whatever is left over gets put towards debt. That means at the beginning of every month, you're starting at a $0.00 balance. Me personally - 1) pay the household bills, 2) move $300 into your own personal account for an allowance, and 3) at the end of the month once EVERY bill has had a chance to be deducted, then you scoop up the remaining balance and throw it on a card. It seems so simple in my head, yet DH found a way to sabotage me. We start at $0.00, then the first checks of the month hit and we have $5K in the bank. I start paying the bills like rent, car notes, etc and here comes this giant man-child snagging $1K and putting it on one of his cards. I'm screaming at the top of my lungs "WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!?!" and his rationale is whether we put it towards the debt now or later doesn't matter.. it still goes towards the debt.  WRONG! Our bills are top heavy meaning most of our due dates range from the 1st - 13th. We have just enough to cover those bills and then the 2nd round of checks is pretty much free checks to do as we please. This nut job causes the account to go into the negative not once, but twice! Smiley Mad <insert Hut rage monster> "THAT'S IT!!!! WE ARE SEPARATING OUR FUNDS!!" Of course I didn't expect it, but he agreed! We agreed on the split, the amounts and the monthly process. All bills get put into a pot and we pay our own credit cards. 

Here's where it gets funny...

He makes a snard remark about how he brings in 70% of the income and how he'll be debt-free in a few months while it will take me a year to get mine paid off. He makes the mistake of telling me how we've been doing my process of debt pay down for a year with really no results, so now he FINALLY gets to do it his way.. now, I get to see how his process will work better than mine and how he's right and I'm wrong. Okay mister.. now, we have a full fledge competition on who can get their debt paid off quicker AAANNND I'm going to make it painful for you. Plus, I'm a woman and we don't know defeat. Keep in mind, the effective date of our account separation was 11/15, but the agreement to separate finances was the like 11/8-ish. Obviously, I needed to put some energy into this so I decided to liquidate my color street business..

1. 11/8 - I closed my PenFed checking account and transferred the balance to my cc. (payment #1 - $1500)
  2. 11/10 - I sold a bunch of color street stuff at a discount (payment #2 - $800)
  3. 11/12 - I sold more color street stuff at a discount (payment #3 - $600)
  4. 11/13 - A child support payment came in unexpectedly (payment #4 - $409)

First cc paid off...

1. 11/19 - I get my 1st paycheck all to myself (payment #5 - $1500)
  2. 11/20 - Forgot auto pay was still turned on - UGH! (payment #6 - $103)
  3. 11/24 - Boss calls and says he added a lil sum'n-sum'n extra in my quarterly bonus check coming the next day (payment #7 - $2839.79)

Last cc paid off...

Should I tell him I'm debt-free and it only took 17 days? Is that painful enugh? Smiley LOL

download

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Marital Funny - Who's your daddy?!

You have to get him to fess up on how well his progress is going.  Only then should you tell him you're debt-free. 

Be sure to rub it in a bit.  😂

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 8
Hut1
Established Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

You have to get him to fess up on how well his progress is going.  Only then should you tell him you're debt-free. 

Be sure to rub it in a bit.  😂

@coldfusion He hasn't paid a penny towards the debt. He still uses the joint account as his main account, so I can see all the transactions. 😏 I know how petty I'm being which is probably why this feels so good deep down in my soul. 🥰

download

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol all the more reason to get him to talk about his progress. With how you described his habits, he probably doesn't realize you can still see it all. Get him to tell you the progress, then call him out if he's BSing you, and then pull up your accounts and show him the zero balances. Walk away laughing while he sits there going "how the heck did she do that?"

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous you're a devil 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol I see zero wrong in calling out someone on their BS. This is a golden chance for @Hut1 to flex and put her guy in checkmate Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 8
Hut1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Lol I see zero wrong in calling out someone on their BS. This is a golden chance for @Hut1 to flex and put her guy in checkmate Smiley Happy

He brought up the subject. You could tell he was poking around trying to see where I was at in my progress. I just casually replied  "You still have debt?" and he said "it's only been a month. I just haven't started moving my money around yet." Then he says, "once I get mine paid off, I'll help you pay your debt, too". So I said, "What debt? I paid mine off in November."

I flexed and he got butt hurt and waited until 4am to argue with me. 😂 Around 6am, when I was repetitively knocking on the bathroom door (he escaped behind) like a middle school aged child, he swung the door open and said "you are so annoying!" while laughing. 

That ended that. 😁

download

Message 7 of 8
the_jan_b
Established Contributor

@Hut1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

He brought up the subject. You could tell he was poking around trying to see where I was at in my progress. I just casually replied  "You still have debt?" and he said "it's only been a month. I just haven't started moving my money around yet." Then he says, "once I get mine paid off, I'll help you pay your debt, too". So I said, "What debt? I paid mine off in November."

I flexed and he got butt hurt and waited until 4am to argue with me. 😂 Around 6am, when I was repetitively knocking on the bathroom door (he escaped behind) like a middle school aged child, he swung the door open and said "you are so annoying!" while laughing. 

That ended that. 😁

#MicDrop!  Love it!

Enjoying your freedom? Thank a servicemember and their family!

In the garden since 26 Jun 14...

I am digitaldiva's alter-ego

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.