cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the downside to adding an authorized user?

tag
live-n-learn
Contributor

What's the downside to adding an authorized user?

Hi everyone,

What things would I need to consider when adding an authorized user to one of my cards.

My fiance is repairing his credit & wants me to add him to my oldest card to help his score. 

What's the negative side to that?  I know I can remove him anytime but can any of his actions with his own credit cards hurt me at all?

Is there anything I need to "be aware" of?

My FICO - As of 07/2018
Equifax 730
Transunion 732
Experian 743
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What's the downside to adding an authorized user?

@live-n-learn wrote:

Hi everyone,

What things would I need to consider when adding an authorized user to one of my cards.

My fiance is repairing his credit & wants me to add him to my oldest card to help his score. 

What's the negative side to that?  I know I can remove him anytime but can any of his actions with his own credit cards hurt me at all?

I've been looking into this for my own fiance. From what I can find, the simple answer is  your fiance's bad  or lack of credi will not affect you. The only way you can be affected is if  you give him the card and he racks up debt and or if he is responsible for paying the card and neglects to do so on time. I'm sure you already know this, but it's worth stating. You are responsible for any and all debt on that tradeline.

Message 2 of 5
live-n-learn
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@live-n-learn wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've been looking into this for my own fiance. From what I can find, the simple answer is  your fiance's bad  or lack of credi will not affect you. The only way you can be affected is if  you give him the card and he racks up debt and or if he is responsible for paying the card and neglects to do so on time. I'm sure you already know this, but it's worth stating. You are responsible for any and all debt on that tradeline.

Oh ok.  I don't plan to give him the card to use at all.  He understands that it would be only to show a positive trade line on his credit report. I just want to make sure 

that if he happens to not pay his own cards for some reason,  it wouldn't affect me.

Thanks

My FICO - As of 07/2018
Equifax 730
Transunion 732
Experian 743
Message 3 of 5
Aarvard
Established Contributor

@live-n-learn wrote:

Hi everyone,

The answer is no. If I were you, I'd just add him on all of my accounts but not give him the actual cards. That way he can have positive tradelines on his reports and you don;t have to worry about him being irresponsible.

03/25/2015 TU 08 765, EX 08 747, EQ 08 757, EQ 04 754.
01/30/2016 TU 08 775, EX 08 752, EQ 08 744
Goal: 780+ across all models.
Message 4 of 5
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

You also have to keep up your end in having him as an AU.  The account shouldn't be dormant but reporting a small balance at least once every two or three months, and of course all payments must be made on time.  Otherwise it's not worth having him on there because it's not going to help his credit much if at all.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.