Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex BCP with disappearing security code

tag
jl4
Established Contributor

Amex BCP with disappearing security code

Probably a clickbait title, but it's Friday. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I pulled my BCP out of my wallet only to discover the security code on the front was rubbed off. 🤔

Has this happened to anyone else, here? If it did, did you replace your card, only to have it happen again? 

I've already ordered a replacement, but I fear this'll be a thing I do, now, once a year.

EQ8: 779 (Inq: 1) | TU8: 771 (Inq: 0) | EX8: 763 (Inq: 4)
Total Rev: $182,500
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex BCP with disappearing security code

The ultimate security feature. Disappearing CVV! 

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you get the new card, write down the code and keep it in a safe place.  Is your wallet made of sandpaper?

Message 3 of 6
wasCB14
Super Contributor

My physical card is 9 months old and it's seen moderate use. No damage yet. I just tried to scrape with my fingernail and couldn't remove anything from any surface.

Does your wallet spend a lot of time in a hot car? About a year ago I left my wallet in a hot card for about 24 hours and several cards got a little warped. They flattened as they cooled, though, and I don't think I had to replace any of them.

Around 2015 I did have the "lettering paint" quickly wear off a PRG. Of course, it was plastic with raised lettering then so the details were still visible even when the same color as the card background.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, that's strange. I have a few non-embossed cards which are a couple years old and that hasn't happened yet. Like it's been said, once you receive your replacement write down your CVV and keep in a safe place.

Message 5 of 6
jl4
Established Contributor

Glad I'm the only one. 😅

No sandpaper, but I do have one of those 'slim' wallets. All of my cards–(BECU Visa, Costco Visa, Amex BCP, Business debit, Amex Business Cash, Personal debit, in that order)–are in a single stack. Perhaps the sliding of them in and out had something to do with it? None of my other non-embossed cards have had this problem which, coincidentally enough, is all six of them. 

I got lucky this time that I remembered by CVV. It normally only ever sees usage for groceries (3%) and streaming services (6%) so needing the code doesn't come up often. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EQ8: 779 (Inq: 1) | TU8: 771 (Inq: 0) | EX8: 763 (Inq: 4)
Total Rev: $182,500
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.