Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat Panel Monitors - need suggestions!

tag
Scamp
Valued Contributor

Flat Panel Monitors - need suggestions!

Here's one for the techies out there:

My current computer monitor works fine but is ancient and about the size of the Titanic, and various things make it a good idea for me to finally cave in and buy a fancy-schmancy flat-panel monitor sometime soon.

I'd like to spend only about $200 if I can get something decent for that (saw a 19" HP something-or-other with 10000-1 contrast something for about that, on sale, at one place, but had no idea if this was a good product or not.  Can you tell I'm really tech-savvy?!).  That one did have lots of positive reviews, except for being slightly prone to a 'stuck pixel' problem, which seemed to be solvable on-line somehow.

Anybody have suggestions for particular products in that price area?  Or advice on what I want to look for that makes a good-quality monitor?  I'm completely clueless, so any info would be a big help.

Thanks!!! Smiley Happy

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Flat Panel Monitors - need suggestions!

We have used a range of them at work and have come to the conclusion that you more or less get what you pay for  Smiley Happy

I have used LaCie at home with  zero problems, and a dell at work with zero problems, both for more than 2 years.  You can get a 19" Dell at best buy for $200
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought the DW a 22" Widescreen for under $200

Also Costco-
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recommend getting it  at Costco.

I had a good experience with them. I bought a kitchen faucet (sorry, off topic). 2 weeks later Costco sent me a letter warning me that I may have purchased a faulty faucet and offered a toll free number to call for replacement.

It was only a $100 kitchen faucet but it was the extra care by sending out notices to people had bought it. That's good customer service.

Message 4 of 14
Scamp
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the input so far, everyone. Smiley Happy

I'm not a Costco member, so that's out - I mostly shop and buy on-line.

Any brands I should avoid altogether?

Anything in particular I should look for in the specifications that would help me gauge quality/value for the price...?

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm fairly tech savvy. I have a 20.1" sceptre that cost me under 200 when I bought it. Try newegg.com or tigerdirect.com. My recommendation is don't buy an hp or dell monitor. Overpriced.
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I absolutely love love love my 17-in mac. My husband has a Dell laptop downstairs, and even with all its bells and whistles and top-o-the-line rating, it still doesn't compare to my mac, performance-wise or resolution/image quality-wise.
Message 7 of 14
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Very useful thread, as I was in the market for a flat panel. As a result of the link that Timothy posted, I went to OM and got the Sceptre 20.1". I love it. Now, when I lay on the floor of my home office (gave my desk to my children--can't come to a conclusion on a new one yet) typing away, the screen is very nice and easy to read. $179.99. Thanks Timothy and OP for starting the thread.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Wow, I miss my Mac! A 17-inch, wow, that must run pretty high...

Wish they'd make a more affordable MacBook with a decent-sized display!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

hauling - they discontinued the 17-in about a month after I got mine last summer. Now it's just the 20-in and 22-in.
I'm so happy with it. It was def more than DH's HP Pavilion (think I said Dell earlier by accident) but SO worth it.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.