cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friend evicted from home because lender put wrong address on evection.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Friend evicted from home because lender put wrong address on evection.

Can you believe it is that simple. Someone had their home go in to foreclosure. So the bank hired a company to evict. The problem was the person in charge of the eviction was dyslexic so they read 301 as 103 for the address. Not even close. They scoped his place out until he wasn't home. A locksmith picked the locks and changed them so no one could get back in. Slapped a sticker on the door EVICTED.

Well the company had no data and denied doing it since his address was not in their computer. That was the hard part about getting the locks off. The next step was to call the sheriff and report a crime. But the company called their lock smith to go and check it out. They said oops!

LOCKED OUT FOR A DAY AND A HALF! The next step was to gut the place and clear out everything like furniture and stuff. All my friends stuff would have been out on the street. Scary stuff. They corrected the problem for him, put back his old locks and said sorry. He decided not to press charges.

This happened yesterday!
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Re: Friend evicted from home because lender put wrong address on evection.

What an awesome lawsuit your friend has.
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 2 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

WOW!!! Your friend is such a nice person.   Most people would be SUE SUE SUE city.
Message 3 of 32
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

Re: Friend evicted from home because lender put wrong address on eviction.

Locked out of your own home for almost 2 days? Personally I think a lawsuit is fully justified.
Message 4 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

What do you think it's worth...? He's not going to do anything but just wondering. I figure breaking and entering, no court order, invasion, ect.. But that's all criminal where's the lawsuit?
Message 5 of 32
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

ilovepizza wrote:
 But that's all criminal where's the lawsuit?

If in doubt, go for deprivation of civil rights  Smiley Very Happy

The problem is, there was no intent to harm - it was just a mistake.  So he should be covered for a couple of nights in a hotel
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 6 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea, he doesn't have to pull any money out of pocket over it. It's just the point that this was so easily done. Could you imagine going on vacation and coming home to find your house was gutted and cleared out with a sign saying evicted. We spoke to the company and they said it doesn't happen that often. NOT THAT OFTEN??? So it happens. Crazy....

My friend made a comment expressing his feelings of invasion. Compared it to how the police break in arrest every one and say sorry, wrong house. He's just a little ticked off. They just got in too easily to his place like a hot knife through butter.
Message 7 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they stayed at a hotel/motel in the interim, the mortgage company must reimburse them for their troubles. Same too, with gas prices, food, etc.

Chances are, that's the only reimbursement your friend would get in a court of law. The police wouldn't be liable, per se, since they were acting on "good faith" on the info given to them by the lender. If it was the mistake of the police, however, they WOULD have to reimburse your friend.

Otherwise, I think it's simply a matter of their getting what they're out of.
Message 8 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm wondering what would happen if you add to the mix family pets at home while the locks are being changed. I have no idea what my two pit bulls would do if some stranger barged in while we aren't home. They aren't aggressive at all, and we've raised them to be family pets, but you'd think their protective instincts would kick in. So in our case would we have the ordeal your friend went through plus the trauma of beloved family pets either at the pound or, God forbid, killed?? It's a horrifying thought.
Message 9 of 32
LouMinotti
Regular Contributor

Every so often I will see the contents of someone's home on the curb and my heart breaks for whoever it is. It seems like almost always there are childrens toys in the big heap. And almost always there will be a "picked through" look to the pile. IMO, it would be a cardinal sin to take advantage of someone who's in the worst of all possible situations by picking through and taking their stuff. . .and it surely is an invitation to really bad karma.
July 08 FICO TU/683 EQ/629 EX/658
Goal: 700+ by June 09
Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.
Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.