cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friend evicted from home because lender put wrong address on evection.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Friend evicted from home because lender put wrong address on eviction.

let a pd screw the pooch on a seach warrant and see how many million dollar lawsuits fly, and get paid quickly. there is no excuse for this.

the 4th ammendment doesn't have an oops clause, no excuse i tell you.

i say your friend should jump on them with both feet. if they took the time to stalk your friend then they should have double checked the addy at least at some point.

as for the not too often remark, well enough lawsuits and that would correct that attitude.

i would sue and charge everyone involved. it took a day and a half to get these idiots to correct a clerical error? no excuse, i'm livid for your friend.
Message 11 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

They placed a big EVICTED sign on his door for all the neighbors and any visitors to see, when he paid his bills and wasn't evicted.

Sure that would fall somewhere under something. Defamation of character?

If in the same situation, I wouldn't sue. I would contact the media considering the comment about it not happening "often". Had the comment been "this has never happened, that would be a bit different.

ilovepizza wrote:
What do you think it's worth...? He's not going to do anything but just wondering. I figure breaking and entering, no court order, invasion, ect.. But that's all criminal where's the lawsuit?

Message 12 of 32
marty56
Super Contributor

Just like what happend in the movie Sand and Fog.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 13 of 32
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
What do you think it's worth...? He's not going to do anything but just wondering. I figure breaking and entering, no court order, invasion, ect.. But that's all criminal where's the lawsuit?
They placed a big EVICTED sign on his door for all the neighbors and any visitors to see, when he paid his bills and wasn't evicted.

Sure that would fall somewhere under something. Defamation of character?

If in the same situation, I wouldn't sue. I would contact the media considering the comment about it not happening "often". Had the comment been "this has never happened, that would be a bit different.

Agree about the media! Name the lender, name everyone else involved.

There's a lot to be said for public shaming for those who deserve it. Your friend didn't deserve the shaming of the "EVICTED" sign, but the others certainly do.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 14 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
let a pd screw the pooch on a seach warrant and see how many million dollar lawsuits fly, and get paid quickly. there is no excuse for this.

In this case, it wasn't the police's fault. They were simply going by information provided by the lender.

Also, bear in mind that if ANYONE was to catch this, besides the lender, it should have been the COURT system. The lender had to follow a legal process before actually foreclosing. FTR, a JUDGE was supposed to review the documentation INCLUDING payment history (since the lender has to PROVE that a foreclosure is legally a warranted remedy). And that JUDGE should have caught that, even if the lender fudged up.

The police were simply assuming that everyone else prior had done their job: lender AND court system.

Pizza: I hope your friend thinks about what judge he votes for next election!!! o_O

But the only people your friend can sue is the lender. Everyone else in the equation is protected as long as the damage was intentional and with malicious intent.

Bottom line: the police and judge who ordered the F/C have immunity.
Message 15 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also remember guys, that the police, once given an Order such as foreclosure, eviction, repossession of property, they HAVE to do it.

I know a lot of cops who now drink to excess simply because they HATE their jobs because of the foreclosure nightmare. They don't do it because they LIKE it.

They may not have the stress of having to find another place to live, losing their stuff, their $$ ... but they DO have to WATCH it. And they don't like seeing someone lose their home and their security any more than we do. Smiley Sad
Message 16 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I would contact the media considering the comment about it not happening "often".

Actually that would have been a great move. We didn't think of it. Calling local news to come to the property and film the Evicted sign on the door. That would have been a fantastic story as well as how the company had no idea they did it and denied it. What a national story that would have been. Any time, any where, any body can kick you out of your home with out a warrant and say oops. He can still go to the media, but not as powerful story as with the locks changed and the sign on the door. I will suggest that he contacts the media anyway. Just to make people aware that this is going on.
Message 17 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely the friend should contact a lawyer. There's plenty of grounds for a lawsuit: emotional distress, defamation of character, economic loss, invasion of privacy, etc.

Odds are the case would never go to trial. The company would offer an out-of-court settlement of, oh, probably around $10,000 or so, and your friend would take it (presumably).
Message 18 of 32
LouMinotti
Regular Contributor

@marty56 wrote:
Just like what happend in the movie Sand and Fog.

Ahh..."House of Sand and Fog". . .that was a GREAT movie...I'm going to have to look that up on ebay, def. worth owning.
July 08 FICO TU/683 EQ/629 EX/658
Goal: 700+ by June 09
Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.
Message 19 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

The move was good, but the book was better. Smiley Tongue
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.