Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you escape?

tag
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

How do you escape?

Since this is always such a great place for credit health, life advice and general shenanigans. I thought why not make a thread about stress relief as well because i know for me, checking scores and adding up balances and payments ect can ve quite calming and theraputic almost for me. What are some of your guys favorite things to do to escape the hustle and bustle? I also love a good drive or walk at night. Been feeling quite tense lately with life changes and why not vent and spread some positive thoughts and habbits.

Let the good times roll!
Affinity Cash Rewards: 15,000
Amex BCP: 30,000
Amex Platinum
BCU Cash Rewards: 18,000
Discover it: 14,700
TJX Mastercard: 2,500
Venmo: 10,000
>>23k student loan-payed off
Ficos 8's ~790
Inq: EX:1 EQ:1 TU:1
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: How do you escape?

@Wrigley2172 wrote:
Since this is always such a great place for credit health, life advice and general shenanigans. I thought why not make a thread about stress relief as well because i know for me, checking scores and adding up balances and payments ect can ve quite calming and theraputic almost for me. What are some of your guys favorite things to do to escape the hustle and bustle? I also love a good drive or walk at night. Been feeling quite tense lately with life changes and why not vent and spread some positive thoughts and habbits.

Let the good times roll!

I'm way past "credit related anxiety". Took forever but eventually my brain got tired of it, so that's a non issue right now 

As far as general life stress, humor helps. Anything can be funny if looked at from the right perspective. 

I  dont bottle anything, so whining to a few select people almost always works. 

Books and games help because I really dont sleep well, so I usually have extra time and  there is only so much laundry one can do. 

I do enjoy being around my kids, regardless of 💩 I talk about them online.  Oh and my dogs, too. If nothing else, they annoy me so bad I forget about the thing that was stressing me out in a first place. 

I think any good support system should include something you enjoy that gives you peace and solace, such as reading, writing etc, 

and anything shared with your friends. Friends are important, if nothing just so that someone can tell you when it's time to cut the crap out and move on to the next worst thing in your life. 

Other than that, I think we have some relative control over what we give importance to. Once some of those things are eliminated, there is less to worry about. Baring tragedies and life changing events, a lot of things in life self-correct whether we sweat them or not. 

So asking yourself  "Is this really worth the agony I'm about to put in really worth it" may be enough to interrupt the process a few times. 

Message 2 of 9
tacpoly
Established Contributor

About the only thing that completely takes my mind off things is rock climbing — long routes preferably outside (multi-pitch sport or trad) — something challenging enough that it requires concentration but not so hard that it becomes frustrating. 

(Advanced) math problems can also be fun, but they’re only good for a short escape — just long enough to clear the cobwebs off the little gray cells. 

Message 3 of 9
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

Ya, not to get too personal but my grandmother passed away at the beginkng of the summer and i have a tendancy to be strong for others in the moment and then it hits me later. Its really hit me as of late and some other life changes im having difficulty dealing with so late walks and going to the gym have been great, get some good chemicals flowing to the brain so not so down and focused on things all the time
Amex Platinum
Ficos 8's ~790
Message 4 of 9
Ardecko
Frequent Contributor

Logged back in to give you kudos for "the little gray cells", but only if you write it with an accent.
2017-09-09 FICO 08: EQ 677, TU 640, EX 705
2020-02-07 FICO 08: TU 789
2020-02-10 FICO 08: EX 752

Gardening, mostly, again until... soon(I need to replace my car)

Message 5 of 9
the_jan_b
Established Contributor

I escape by papercrafting, crocheting, reading, or listening to my relaxation playlist on my Echo.

Enjoying your freedom? Thank a servicemember and their family!

In the garden since 26 Jun 14...

I am digitaldiva's alter-ego

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wrigley2172 wrote:
Ya, not to get too personal but my grandmother passed away at the beginkng of the summer and i have a tendancy to be strong for others in the moment and then it hits me later. Its really hit me as of late and some other life changes im having difficulty dealing with so late walks and going to the gym have been great, get some good chemicals flowing to the brain so not so down and focused on things all the time

Sorry for your loss. I am the exact same way. In tragic times everyone remarks on what a rock I am, and then 3-6 months later I really go through it.

• Exercise (and cardio, specifically) is probably my best and healthiest escape.
  • Love long drives (even cross country) . .total head clearer, especially when alone.
  • Instant gratification tasks like cleaning, laundry, or detailing my car. Mowing the yard when I had one was also great. Basically anything you can spend a few hours on and then admire your work and feel accomplished after.
  • Coloring
  • Beach/Boating
  • Hiking
  • Music while doing any of the above and pretty much 24/7
Message 7 of 9
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Wrigley2172 wrote:

Sorry for your loss. I am the exact same way. In tragic times everyone remarks on what a rock I am, and then 3-6 months later I really go through it.

• Exercise (and cardio, specifically) is probably my best and healthiest escape.
  • Love long drives (even cross country) . .total head clearer, especially when alone.
  • Instant gratification tasks like cleaning, laundry, or detailing my car. Mowing the yard when I had one was also great. Basically anything you can spend a few hours on and then admire your work and feel accomplished after.
  • Coloring
  • Beach/Boating
  • Hiking
  • Music while doing any of the above and pretty much 24/7

Appreciate the sentiment, its been a rough month or so for me, having to kind of re figure out who I am and all the jolly mental health struggles that come with that. These forums have actually been a great escape, give the mind something to focus on. I felt great after my workout today I agree excercise is wonderful. I suppose just like credit, general health is a marathon not a sprint. Just gotta keep reminding myself/ourselves of that otherwise wed all go crazy haha

Amex Platinum
Ficos 8's ~790
Message 8 of 9
iced
Valued Contributor

@Wrigley2172 wrote:

Let the good times roll!

I try not to let stress build in the first place by taking frequent diversions to balance work and life. I have the double bonus of working from home and living in the heart of a major city, so my work days feature several breaks to walk out to lunch or the store or the park or the gym, as well as some flexibility most days on when my day starts and ends. During the summers, one of my favorite things to do is catch an afternoon weekday baseball game; there's just something pleasant and nostalgic about weekday afternoon baseball.

It doesn't hurt that I also enjoy what I do.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.