Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How young are you?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How young are you?

Car lease through ally at 20 paid off. Got a terrible CapOne Masterdcard that year that they only give me $750 on, which started at $500. At 24 I got a Gold AMEX and also paid off student loans. Early this year I got a Chase Freedom. Just two days ago I was approved for both the Capital One Venture and an AMEX Cash Everyday. I've never been late on a bill and most of my payments are done far before they are due if not a day or two after the charges take place.

My goal is to make money off of a system that is built for people to fail. Great success so far.

Message 71 of 87
ImprovingYouth
Regular Contributor

Gotta say it is damn encouraging to see so many young people taking control of their finances and credit.

Age: 22 //Cards: Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon Visa, Discover IT, CreditOne, CapOne Quicksilver, CapOne Cash, Walmart, Barclaycard, Citibank BestBuy, NavyFederal Visa Signature cashRewards //AAoA: 1 Year 3 Months (but going down quickly Smiley Tongue) //CK:692, Sesame:656
Message 72 of 87
Dustink
Valued Contributor

I just turned 21. I started when I was almost 20 with a $300 limit credit card from US Bank. It quickly grew from there. What a journey.

Here is what I have now:

US Bank Flexperks Signature

US Bank Cash+ (kinda) Combing three accounts to create this card

Chase Freedom $5k

Amex HHonors $2k

Best Buy $3k

Crap1 $1.5k

Now I am working on saving money to buy an investment property.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 73 of 87
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

I just turned 21. I started when I was almost 20 with a $300 limit credit card from US Bank. It quickly grew from there. What a journey.

Here is what I have now:

Chase Freedom $5k

Amex HHonors $2k

Best Buy $3k

Crap1 $1.5k

congrats. hoping i get a big bump on freedom when i ask for an increase next august/jan. havent decided. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 74 of 87
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@creditnocash wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

Here is what I have now:

Chase Freedom $5k

Amex HHonors $2k

Best Buy $3k

Crap1 $1.5k

congrats. hoping i get a big bump on freedom when i ask for an increase next august/jan. havent decided. 

It should. The cards seem to start growing exponentially.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 75 of 87
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

This thread is interesting so I figured I'd revive it.

I'm 20. I am a finance major with about 50 credits (I should have 59, but hey, that's the downfall to transferring). I started my journey back when my first student loan was taken out but didn't pay particular attention to the details and the whole concept of credit until the summer of last year (Wish I had, I wouldn't have applied for 10 different private student loans heading into my freshman year) and I think I'd be in much better position.

My short term goal is to bring my utilization down to <10% by the end of the year, which is also the time I will go on a mini app spree. (Discover iT, Amex Green, Chase Freedom).

My long term goals include helping my mother, her bf to rebuild so that they can get the house they always wanted AND buy a new car without having ridiculous interest rates and also to help my brother build so that he's in a better position than I am when he's my age.
By the time I graduate, which I'm expecting to be Fall of 2015, I hope to land a decent paying job and to have a great history so that I'm able to either buy/lease a car as a graduation present to myself (Acura now, Audi later on in life).

One more short term goal is to get rid of this cashier job I've had for almost a year. I feel inferior to everyone else because I'm only making 8-9k/year lol. School is my top priority though, so I guess it isn't all that bad.
AE CC: $1,050 | AEO Visa: $1,890 | Cap1 QS: $2,100 | Chase Freedom: $1,000 | Citi Forward: $1,500 | Citi Double Cash: $1,000 | Discover iT: $500 | GameStop: $1,650 | Overstock: $1,700 | PayPal Smart Connect: $1,500 | Walmart $2,200

TU (Discover): 663 | EQ (Citi): 651
Message 76 of 87
HiLine
Blogger

@WallyxD wrote:
This thread is interesting so I figured I'd revive it.

I'm 20. I am a finance major with about 50 credits (I should have 59, but hey, that's the downfall to transferring). I started my journey back when my first student loan was taken out but didn't pay particular attention to the details and the whole concept of credit until the summer of last year (Wish I had, I wouldn't have applied for 10 different private student loans heading into my freshman year) and I think I'd be in much better position.

My short term goal is to bring my utilization down to <10% by the end of the year, which is also the time I will go on a mini app spree. (Discover iT, Amex Green, Chase Freedom).

My long term goals include helping my mother, her bf to rebuild so that they can get the house they always wanted AND buy a new car without having ridiculous interest rates and also to help my brother build so that he's in a better position than I am when he's my age.
By the time I graduate, which I'm expecting to be Fall of 2015, I hope to land a decent paying job and to have a great history so that I'm able to either buy/lease a car as a graduation present to myself (Acura now, Audi later on in life).

One more short term goal is to get rid of this cashier job I've had for almost a year. I feel inferior to everyone else because I'm only making 8-9k/year lol. School is my top priority though, so I guess it isn't all that bad.

Great future goals! 2 pieces of unsolicited advice:

1. Don't ever apply for an Amex Green

2. Maintain a high GPA

Cat Tongue

Message 77 of 87
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

Why do you say to never apply for an Amex Green? Wouldn't it be better to app for an Amex Green (easier to get approved for) and then app for a more 'desirable' Amex since if I was approved for the charge card it'd only be a soft pull if I was denied the second card? And I only said the charge card because I know I wouldn't get approved for any other Amex. And I'm using an iPhone 4, can't wait until my contracts up lol. And about the gpa situation, I don't wanna talk about it.. Haha
AE CC: $1,050 | AEO Visa: $1,890 | Cap1 QS: $2,100 | Chase Freedom: $1,000 | Citi Forward: $1,500 | Citi Double Cash: $1,000 | Discover iT: $500 | GameStop: $1,650 | Overstock: $1,700 | PayPal Smart Connect: $1,500 | Walmart $2,200

TU (Discover): 663 | EQ (Citi): 651
Message 78 of 87
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

I'm 25. I got my first CC when I was 18 (when companies were just giving away credit, lol). I'm extremely anal when it comes to my credit & CCs because I was taught at an early age that CCs does not equal free money.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 79 of 87
CBTS
Frequent Contributor

I'm surprised at how many people younger than 25 are already planning to buy a house! I don't even see myself getting married before 40.

Anyway, I'm 21. Work full-time, go to school full-time. Short-term goal is to get my bachelor's out of the way (2 more years to go Smiley Indifferent) so I can focus on my real goal: ACTING!

Message 80 of 87
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.