cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you could only have 1 credit card..........

tag
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

If you could only have 1 credit card..........

What would it be? and why?

I'm talking a card for the "average person" - not Amex Centurian lol

Income around $70k, very low current utilization (1.1%), Fico's 780+

I'm prequall'ed for CSR - but I don't think that I travel enough to justify the AF

I have 2x Citi cards right now - but they want a HP to combine CL's (no, thanks) - Would they combine on the same HP if I got another?

I have a Chase FU with $13.5k CL - I like Chase and would consider another of their cards IF they could combine my FU limit onto the new card with no extra HP's?

I have 2 USB cards, I like the look of the Aspire - again, I don't think I travel enough to justift AF and it's a pain in the butt that they don't combine CL's (I don't think that I need 3 of their cards)

I like 0% intros and cashback

- Any recommendations?

Thanks All - Stay Safe! Smiley Wink 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Re: If you could only have 1 credit card..........

@chrisw1968uk wrote:

What would it be? and why?

I'm talking a card for the "average person" -

AOD, 3% cash-back

No-FTF,  No-AF, no catagories to wory about, no splitting of rewards between cards

As simple as it can be !

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I could only have one card, I would go with the AOD VISA Signature. 3% cash back automatically redeemed monthly for statement credit and low fixed APR is an excellent balance IMO. 

ETA: I typed too slow lol

Message 3 of 14
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Both - I will check it out Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 14
JamP
Valued Contributor

My vote would be for AOD also.

My second one would be Usalliance 3%, unfortunately, they have not opened up applications again yet.

250k+ CL and climbing.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it were 2019 and travel beyond one's driveway were convenient, I might have said Amex Platinum.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chrisw1968uk wrote:

What would it be? and why? My USAA Limitless Cash Rewards; 2.5% back on everything and I control redemption method.

I'm talking a card for the "average person" - not Amex Centurian lol 

Income around $70k, very low current utilization (1.1%), Fico's 780+ 1.1% utilization, do you even need a new card?

I'm prequall'ed for CSR - but I don't think that I travel enough to justify the AF

I have 2x Citi cards right now - but they want a HP to combine CL's (no, thanks) - Would they combine on the same HP if I got another? Not likely. Which Citi cards do you currently have? Also, HPs are very overrated for the average person. They really only affect your score for about 6 months with a 1-3 point reduction. Now, if you are going crazy applying for too much, than yes, an HP could prevent another lender from issuing credit. If it is something you really want and you do not have any major purchases coming up in the next 6 months, a HP is worth it to get what you want. 

I have a Chase FU (watch your mouth) with $13.5k CL - I like Chase and would consider another of their cards IF they could combine my FU limit onto the new card with no extra HP's? It is known that the best way to get a CLI with Chase is to simply open a new card with them and then combine the limit into the card you wish to keep and the close the other card. I have not heard of this costing another HP.

I have 2 USB cards, I like the look of the Aspire - again, I don't think I travel enough to justift AF and it's a pain in the butt that they don't combine CL's (I don't think that I need 3 of their cards) What is the Aspire? US Bank?

I like 0% intros and cashback 0% intro on balance transfers and purchases or just balance transfers?

- Any recommendations?  Well, at first, I thought you were asking the forum what cards we personally would keep to be our only credit card. But after reading, and re-reading your post, it seems that instead, you were seeking recommendations for a new card for you that would be each forum members' go-to card, that still exists and is available to everybody. My confusion seems to be in good company as a moderator moved your post to Smorgasboard. 

My recommendation based on what you have offered would be a Chase Freedom card. 5% cash back on rotating catagories and 0% intro APR on purchases for 15 months. When combined with Freedom Unlimited (to be used to non-catagory-i.e. bonus catagories), it can become a powerful card to accumulate UR points. UR points can be cashed out when and how you want, or, if you eventually get a CSP or CSR or Ink Preferred, you can transfer the UR points to the higher end card to be used with travel partners. Be mindful of Chase's 5/24 rule. If you have opened more than 5 credit cards in the past 24 months, Chase is not an option.

If you want more exposure, you may want to post again in the Credit Card section with a better worded question; i.e. "I need a credit card recommendation; I have great credit, low utilization and the following cards. I am looking for 0% intro APR and the best cash back that I can get, what would you recommend?" Of course, its possible people will respond here.

Thanks All - Stay Safe! Smiley Wink 

Message 7 of 14
eastsea
Regular Contributor

Is AOD something I have a chance to get living in Florida?  It seems to be from Alabama?  

If I could only have one card it would be a flat rate card.  

Message 8 of 14
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for good reply - I had a brain-fart, I meant US Altitude lol

Message 9 of 14
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@chrisw1968uk wrote:

I have 2 USB cards, I like the look of the Aspire

What is the Aspire?

@chrisw1968uk wrote:

Thanks for good reply - I had a brain-fart, I meant US Altitude lol

I thought you meant Altitude Reserve.

Still, there are actually two credit cards named Aspire that I know of ...

The AMEX Hilton Honors Aspire with the $450 AF

https://icm.aexp-static.com/Internet/Acquisition/US_en/AppContent/ContentConfiguration/CCSG/Common/Redesign/RWD/images/hilton_superprem_di_no_cm_480x304_png.png

And the Aspire Mastercard for rebuilders

from Aspire.com

https://www.aspire.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/apire-credit-card-min.png

It's a little amusing to me that they share the same name. Smiley Tongue

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.