Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prostate Cancer - Consider Proton Therapy Treatments

tag
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: Prostate Cancer - Consider Proton Therapy Treatments

Oh, BTW...this is my once-a-month bump up of the original post, with the hope that it's found by someone who needs to find it.

Message 21 of 56
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

...and I'll still try to answer any questions that come my way.

The big question?  Yes, everything's still working as it should.  Smiley Happy

Please feel free to shoot me a PM about anything concerning this.  I actually give a d**n.

-UBUP

Message 22 of 56
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Bumped again, once a month ('til I get shut off).  Smiley Happy

Message 23 of 56
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

UPDATE:  My local urologist/oncologist is astounded at my latest test results.  So was I, frankly.

PSA has dropped to less than a third of what it was a year ago.  If it keeps on this schedule, should be at 0.xx% in another 12 months, which is what is expected.

I'm a happy camper (and I apologize for answering my own post, with no one else on this page).   Just wanted to keep this topic alive for anyone who needs to find this info.

As always, feel free to shoot me a PM if needed. 

Happy holidays to all!!!   Smiley Happy

Uborrow-Upay

Message 24 of 56
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the outstanding  recovery my friend.  I knew you could do it.  Keep up the good work. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 25 of 56
the_jan_b
Established Contributor

A big CONGRATS on your recovery, UBUP!!  Smiley Happy

I don't recall ever "responding" to you personally, but I've immensely enjoyed reading your posts; and I'm glad to see that you're doing well!!  Smiley Very Happy

Enjoying your freedom? Thank a servicemember and their family!

In the garden since 26 Jun 14...

I am digitaldiva's alter-ego

Message 26 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Prostate Cancer - If you, your spouse, or anyone you know has been diagnosed with it.

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Guys, guys, this exam might not be the most fun thing on earth (although I can assure you that it ain't nuthin' compared to what we women have to put up with), but it can save your life. No one likes discomfort, and no one wants to think about getting diagnosed with cancer*, but in most cases, prostate CA is slow-growing and can be controlled if caught early enough. Bite the bullet, and let your doctor check you out.

Hauling, it was almost too late for me.  Almost.

For men who don't want the rectal exam, at least get the PSA testing done.  It's a blood test, and you're going to have that anyways if you're getting a routine checkup, so have the Doc add that PSA test to his list of things to do with your bloodwork. 

My prostate was pretty normal on the DRE, but my PSA was absolutely through the roof.  The biopsy confirmed cancer.

I wasn't going to do anything about it because I didn't like the idea of likely incontinence and/or impotence.  I think that's what stops most guys from even checking, the fact that once he knows he's got cancer, he has to make a decision that could ruin his quality of life, permanently. 

Fortunately, in most cases, proton therapy has minimal (if any) side effects, and certainly not the ones I mentioned above.  (Emphasis on "in most cases"...there aren't any guarantees for any treatments).

I'm just fine, a little tired still, but everything's working! Smiley Happy  The most difficult part of the proton treatment was discovering it in the first place, and I believe I had some help from the Guy Upstairs in that regard.

Thanks, Hauling, Marine and LilMirth  (and others) for the welcome back.  Smiley Happy 

It is so very good to hear that you caught this in time, I would also like to thank you for this post, this post could save someones life.

It's good to hear you are back at 100%.

I'm sorry it took so long for my reply Smiley Sad (I don't visit the SmorgasBoard all that much, maybe I should start visiting more often)

Thank the good Lord above!

Message 27 of 56
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: Prostate Cancer - If you, your spouse, or anyone you know has been diagnosed with it.

Thanks, imhotrodcrazy, digitaldiva and Mustanglvr2006!

I truly appreciate your kindness and support.

Hopefully, nobody you know will ever need treatment for this disease, but if somebody does, please remember this thread, and pass along this info about proton therapy for prostate cancer.  You'll be saving somebody a lot of anguish in choosing his path of treatment.

Thanks again, my friends!  Smiley Happy

Uborrow-Upay

Message 28 of 56
Booner72
Senior Contributor

HI, UBUP.  I just read this post even though I've been around since May.  i guess I was just so obsessed with the stupid score thing that I didn't have the time to look at anything non-score related, and this is very important.  DH's mom died of breast cancer 10 years ago.   Unfortunately, she knew about the lump for 4 years before doing anything about it and then it was toooo late.  She's one of those "put your head in the sand" kinda people, and she definitely drank wayyy too much, and I think she just ran from it.   Very sad. she was 46.  :*(

Anyway, It's wonderful to hear that your bloodwork came back go good this past week.  What a great day for you.  I think you definitely should continue to "bump" this up every month. 

Congrats to you - have a happy and healthy holiday!

EDITED: (I used great three times in the same sentence!!)

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 29 of 56
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Booner72 wrote:

HI, UBUP.  I just read this post even though I've been around since May.  i guess I was just so obsessed with the stupid score thing that I didn't have the time to look at anything non-score related, and this is very important.  DH's mom died of breast cancer 10 years ago.   Unfortunately, she knew about the lump for 4 years before doing anything about it and then it was toooo late.  She's one of those "put your head in the sand" kinda people, and she definitely drank wayyy too much, and I think she just ran from it.   Very sad. she was 46.  :*(

Anyway, It's wonderful to hear that your bloodwork came back go good this past week.  What a great day for you.  I think you definitely should continue to "bump" this up every month. 

Congrats to you - have a happy and healthy holiday!

EDITED: (I used great three times in the same sentence!!)

Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law, Booner72.   I know it was years ago, but it must still hurt. 

I doubt very much that I would've found out anything about proton therapy on the internet 10 years ago.  Even a year ago, before I discovered this treatment, I was going to "put my head in the sand" and ignore the problem if I hadn't found this solution...I didn't want to be cut up...I wasn't about to lose my manhood.  I was going to "die with my boots on", so to speak.

I hope you don't blame her, and may she rest in peace.  (She sounds like she's stubborn...we would've probably gotten along quite well!).

I also know that I'm being a little self-centered here, I've been posting about prostate cancer and how proton therapy can help cure this disease.  But there are many more cancers that can be addressed by protons, especially in young people (kids).

Anyone that has an issue can do a search to find appropriate uses of protons in treatment of disease.

Thank you for your thoughts, and a Happy Holiday to you and your family, for sure!!  Smiley Happy

Uborrow-Upay

Message 30 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.