Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regrets

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Regrets

I learned yesterday that someone I know online, that is more successful in his career than I could imagine being, authored a few books on top of that, ran his own business for years as well...Never planned his retirement. Never saved anything. Never invested. He is currently homeless. 60 something, sleeping on pavement of a mall underhang with ants crawling all over him every night. He started a blog using his phone using the malls wifi documenting the journey. I few of us digital friends chipped in to get him a hotel room until we can arrange a bus ticket back to his home town. I was reading his blog and he said looking back one of his regrets was not investing. I'm kinda just blown away. This can happen to anyone. A simple series of unfortunate events and no support system. 

I fell behind on my contributions to my IRA last year. This morning I dumped 1k into it.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Regrets

Do you mind posting a link to the blog?

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

(Mod Cut-Im sorry this link cannot be posted in the public forum)

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for posting that. I realize the intention was to discuss investing, but I read all of his blog and I love it. I have to get to work now, but once I get to my office I'm going to send a few bucks to his gofundme. I'm glad he is out of the rain.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Everyone is different
I honestly don't plan on living to my retirement age so I have not bothered with investing or retirement. I'm still fairly young at 27 years old and it's hard to get involved regardless making $35,000 a year when it's busy. Right now it's slow I can't even afford to buy a new car atm

Message 5 of 8
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Everyone is different
I honestly don't plan on living to my retirement age so I have not bothered with investing or retirement. I'm still fairly young at 27 years old and it's hard to get involved regardless making $35,000 a year when it's busy. Right now it's slow I can't even afford to buy a new car atm

You "don't plan on living to your retirement age?"

I'm not understanding, what alternative plans do you have? If this is stated for medical reasons, my apologies. I don't mean to intrude. Just found your statement a bit perplexing. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Everyone is different

It may hit you like a brick or not, but this isn't Game of Thrones.  My apologies if you have some underlying condition that has proven a shorter lifespan however, just saving a few bucks here and there goes a long way. 

It sucks being 10 yr's later and realizing you just cost yourself an easy $xx,xxx towards possible retirement.  Just saying.  Think about it. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't understand either. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.