Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a Daily Planner

tag
ISawIt
Established Member

Using a Daily Planner

Thank you MYFICO community for all your help. My credit profile has improved tremendously. Onward and forward, I am considering purchasing a daily planner. I’ve never used one before (don’t snicker). Just want to know what types of planners you use and do you recommend any name brand. Are certain personality types more likely to stick with a daily planner? I am an ISTP (Introversion, Sensation with Thinking and Perceiving)

Here's what I want to track in 2019:

TRAVEL (for my 60th birthday in September)
- Trip to London (3-4 days) OR
- Trip through the Canadian Rockies on the Rocky Mountaineer train

HEALTH
- Lose 35 pounds (not interested in gym membership, but willing try other activities)

APPEARANCE
Improve my wardrobe to look more polished (not expensive clothes, not lots of clothes, but a few good quality pieces)

COMFORT
I’ve picked out a large comfy chair. Plan to purchase it on sale around MAY

TECHY
My ‘home theatre’ situation is a patch work of various cables like I a college student with a first apartment. It just ain’t happening any more. Researching for something affordable.

FAVORITES
Keeping track of things/products that work for me as well as those to avoid
-Toiletries (deodorants, lotions, toothpaste, etc.)
-Music
-Foods
-Clothing (stores, brands, best colors, best sizes, etc.)

CREDIT CARDS
Keeping track of due dates and statement dates.

CLASSES/HOBBIES
I am also considering a variety of classes for my career and personal growth.

I know I could probably download yet another app for my smartphone, but I’ve learned that for some things I will retain information more efficiently if I actually write it down

Any suggestions for a good daily planner?

TU: 674 INQ 1 | EQ: 685 INQ 4 | EX: 700 INQ 3
Utilization 17%
Discover $359/$8000 | Cap1 Platinum $599/$3500 | Home Depot $1000 / $3000 |  Citi Diamond $0/$2000 | Citi DC $1000/$2000
Amex BCE $259/$2000 | PenFed $119/$500 | Macy’s $0/$200

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Using a Daily Planner

@ISawIt wrote:

Are certain personality types more likely to stick with a daily planner? I am an ISTP (Introversion, Sensation with Thinking and Perceiving)

HEALTH
- Lose 35 pounds (not interested in gym membership, but willing try other activities)

I know I could probably download yet another app for my smartphone, but I’ve learned that for some things I will retain information more efficiently if I actually write it down

Any suggestions for a good daily planner?

My experience is that a planner is only useful if I actually have it with me to remind me or take notes immediately, so that makes apps a necessity. I'm not going to carry around a separate paper book all the time.

I don't put much weight in MB tests...personalities can be situation-dependent and fluctuate.

I like the Yazio app (free basic version with ads, premium features for an additional fee) to track exercise and food. I just use the free version. As far as foods, I limit the amount of unhealthy stuff I have around at home at once, so I can't be too bad when my willpower is weak. It also helps to have the app to keep track of everything I eat.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there....

a few suggestions.....I think one or both may work.  Have you looked at Trello?  I am absolutely dependent on it and love every facet of the app/desktop program. I can assist you in setting it up if you interested.

https://Trello.com

My other suggestion is to purchase Rocketbook. There are many variations, the version with the erasable and reusable pages is “magical.” My meanderings, nites, appointments and everything are auto-routed and added to my mobile devices with a simple scan of the page. I ordered from amazon but target and most office supply stores carry it - if you prefer to see what you’re getting, first. Plus - erasable pens are really neat. I suggest pilot frixion. They can also be used with regular, plain paper. 

https://getrocketbook.com

https://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Erasable-Mistakes-Disappear-Americas/dp/B001GAOTLY

Message 3 of 5
ISawIt
Established Member

Thanks for the ideas and the links.  All just great suggestions! I am looking into all of them. The gel pen is useful immediately. (Unfortunately, I am a Virgo and we tend to analyze things to death before making a decision). But I am really intrigued by your suggestions. I did jump the gun and bought a filofax binder. Created a few custom made pages like daily pages, monthly calendar, Schedule for Credit Card Closing Dates, Shopping lists, Reading Lists. I'm not really feeling it. I've seen the planners of my co-workers - some look interesting, but most are either 'too cutesy' or 'too big'. I feel that using the planner is more of a 'personal' thing. Apps can be rather impersonable or inflexible at times.  I am leaning more towards that 'Rocketbook'. It seems very 'clever', very 'now'. Eventually, I will graduate to 'Trello' I will keep you posted on where I am in the process. Thanks again!

Message 4 of 5
rbentley
Established Contributor

I use to carry a DayTimer Jr. around with me everywhere and had sections like you are wanting.  Ultimately I moved to software and now use OneNote to keep all that stuff in.  I can easily access it on my phone and I don't have to carry a notebook around anymore.  Additionally, you can password protect folders and pages to keep them private, something you don't get with a physical notebook.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.