Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird AOD benefit...

tag
unsungivy
Established Contributor

Weird AOD benefit...

I just got mail from them to "activate" my 2k "Accidental Death & Dismemberment" insurance that AOD pays for.

Since you have to join the CU to get the AOD Visa, and this is apparently something included for CU members, this makes it a CC benefit... hahahahahaha!

Uncommon CC benefit: get 1k if you lose your thumb!

SD - Biz -
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: Weird AOD benefit...

@unsungivy wrote:

I would give that a "thumbs up" but ... well Smiley Frustrated

smirk_emoji.png

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 2 of 9
GatorCowboyLion
Regular Contributor

I'll be sure to let my wife know about this exciting new benefit she has! Any clarification on how much of a finger must be dismembered to receive the full benefit? Is there a beyond the knuckle requirement? Just curious for no reason. 🤔

Message 3 of 9
uoyankee
New Contributor

A few, maybe a lot of, credit unions offer some sort of life or ad&d insurance just for being a member.  I have a few 1k policies that probably won't be cashed in even if I did die, but I try to keep the paperwork for them in order so the option is there just in case.  One may even be $5k.  

Message 4 of 9
Otto77
New Contributor

Many credit unions offer stuff like this for free. It really is free but it is used by the company offering the insurance as a foot in the door to try and upsell you on other insurance products

Message 5 of 9
JNA1
Valued Contributor

I get the same thing from NFCU, PenFed, AOD, and my local CU. Affinity, Grow, and Alliant have not offered it so far. 

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 6 of 9
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Just be sure to read whatever it is that you have to sign.  Many times the fine print says that you are giving the insurance company the right to contact you to attempt to sell you insurance that is not free.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 7 of 9
Crowhelm
Established Contributor

@unsungivy wrote:

I just got mail from them to "activate" my 2k "Accidental Death & Dismemberment" insurance that AOD pays for.

Since you have to join the CU to get the AOD Visa, and this is apparently something included for CU members, this makes it a CC benefit... hahahahahaha!

LOL, well better than getting nothing for it

Message 8 of 9
Crowhelm
Established Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@unsungivy wrote:

I would give that a "thumbs up" but ... well Smiley Frustrated

smirk_emoji.png

ROFL, very clever

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.