Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

arrogance ?

tag
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

arrogance ?

Can someone please direct me as to what the proper etiquette is when you believe a poster is making arrogant smug rmarks?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: arrogance ?

@juggalo9er wrote:

Can someone please direct me as to what the proper etiquette is when you believe a poster is making arrogant smug rmarks?

That's pretty subjective...  If they are in clear violation of this site's terms of service, just notify a Mod and they will take care of it.  This community has guidelines.  Otherwise, the best course of action is to either subtly poke fun at them until they flounce away, or grow a thicker skin and move on.  In other words, tattle, give it right back, or suck it up and drive on.  I generally favor the last two options myself.

Message 2 of 19
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@p- wrote:

@juggalo9er wrote:

That's pretty subjective...  If they are in clear violation of this site's terms of service, just notify a Mod and they will take care of it.  This community has guidelines.  Otherwise, the best course of action is to either subtly poke fun at them until they flounce away, or grow a thicker skin and move on.  In other words, tattle, give it right back, or suck it up and drive on.  I generally favor the last two options myself.

I do this with the most wildly fashion as possible, w/o violating the TOS terms. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 3 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@p- wrote:

@juggalo9er wrote:

If someone is generally trolling it up anyway to the detriment of the community, even borderline cases it's not a bad idea to Report it as Inappropriate Content anyway.

To be perfectly honest I had more time to keep up with the forums beforehand; now I'm just not in a life circumstance permitting that.  If someone files an AR, all the moderators get notified, and I can go take a look without trawling the forums like I used to do for hours on end.  Now if nobody says anything, I sometimes wind up seeing an issue weeks later after it's become a real problem and I don't get the chance to try to handle it with a light touch as I'd personally prefer.

Can't speak for the other moderators but I would suggest they all have similar times where they're busy, and it's impossible for one individual to read the whole forums anyway.

Might be considered tattling but I don't subscribe to that, personally I'd rather see AR's on things that *might* become a problem than things which already are.  The first can be resolved sometimes without impact to the community, the second it's already has impacted the community and there isn't much to be done other than applying the nuclear option.

        
Message 4 of 19
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

i prefer to dish it right back out...i just have problems keeping it toned down

Message 5 of 19
azguy13
Senior Contributor

I think we all know exactly what the OP is talking about and I am really really really trying to just ignore it. Is it detrimental to the community? Yes, I belive it is. However, the TOS is not being violated so us mere mortals cannot do anything but ignore. That is, unless you want to get mod-whacked, lol.

Message 6 of 19
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@azguy13 wrote:

I think we all know exactly what the OP is talking about and I am really really really trying to just ignore it. Is it detrimental to the community? Yes, I belive it is. However, the TOS is not being violated so us mere mortals cannot do anything but ignore. That is, unless you want to get mod-whacked, lol.

I failed to hold my tongue yesterday when I saw the arrogance that (I assume) the OP's talking about. And an entire thread ended up mod-whacked.

I enjoy the atmosphere of civility and helpfulness around this place and I respect the mods for the hard job they do. I confess my guilt for what happened yesterday.

But I'm sorry ... that I can't really say I'm sorry.

I probably should have followed yudeology's method though. Payback through subtlety.

Message 7 of 19
Stralem
Established Contributor

Another vote for dishing it back.

Trolls trolling trolled trolls is a beautiful thing to witness. I personally think myFico could use a bit of that quintessential internet madhouse spirit.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 8 of 19
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Poking is fun, and sometimes deserved.

On the other side of the pond, you guys would just love "membersince99," and his bashings...lol.

Message 9 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

As Rev pointed out, ARs are the best way to alert us.  We are here to make sure the community, as a whole have a forum in which they are comfortable with visiting; this will never be the place for 'one' to be more important than the 'many'. 

We are all busy and sometimes things do get missed - do not be afraid to use the AR or if you feel more comfortable, PM a MOD. 

~Lexie

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.