cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any suggestions for defaulted Student Loan?

tag
OonaMission
Regular Contributor

Any suggestions for defaulted Student Loan?

I recently began the tedious task of repairing credit that has been ignored for far too long. I've sent out some GW and PFD letters, but am running into a road block with my defaulted student loan.

I spoke with someone at NCO about my loan in March, and we agreed that since my upcoming tax refund would be covering almost all of it, we'd wait til that was applied and then I'd contact them to take care of the remainder. In the mean time I discovered myFico and started researching what I could do to have this problem actually deleted. Unfortunately, this was the first time I heard about Loan Rehabilitation for student loans, and now my remainder is only $190. They won't start a rehab program unless the debt is over $300 and everything I've read about student loans is that they will not PFD.

To top it all of, my ONE student loan is being reported 3 times with each CRA, so I'm basically looking at trying to fix 9 derogatory marks. 2 of them (across all 3 CRAs) are being reported under the same account number, and the other is being reported with my SSN as the account number. Although NCO is servicing the debt, the Dept. of Education is actually reporting. I haven't consolidated any loans, so I really don't know why it would be reported this way.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make any of this just a little bit better? Is it legal for them to have duplicate reports on my CR like that??
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

Re: Any suggestions for defaulted Student Loan?

Oh yes....student loans can legally report multiple times.  The OC files a claim with the guarantor, who both report and then if the loan is subrogated or taken over by the feds, the DOE will report too.  Each will age off 7 years after the claim paid date, the date that the default was paid.
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Ex-Student Loan Collector
Message 2 of 3
OonaMission
Regular Contributor

Re: Any suggestions for defaulted Student Loan?

But they are all listed as DOE???
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.