Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bragging rights?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bragging rights?

This may have been covered before, but what is everyone's approximate student loan balance?  Mine is $39k.  I thought if I'd hear from others with higher balances I wouldn't feel so bad.  Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Travis-84
Regular Contributor

Re: Bragging rights?

Sorry to disapoint.

Message 2 of 11
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Well, mine were about $69k, but I've gotten them down to $41k.  Ah, worse thing I ever did was not pay at least the interest on these while I was in school.  Smiley Sad

But its all good, they have come down substantially as I've been dumping as much money toward them as I can.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 3 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Well, when DD#1 is graduated from med school in another year and a half, she'll have over a quarter million dollars' worth of loans.

Does that help?  Smiley Tongue

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 11
Tazman81
Established Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Well, when DD#1 is graduated from med school in another year and a half, she'll have over a quarter million dollars' worth of loans.

Does that help?  Smiley Tongue

I bow down.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 5 of 11
SMikulski49
Regular Contributor

started out with 60K now I am down to around 22 ahh it feels like its never gonna end Smiley Sad Good thing is my parents helped me with a lot of them so I dont have to pay interest, just slowly paying back my parents Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 11
laz98
Senior Contributor

mine are somewhere around $50k.  but i'm going to be going to graduate school next year, so that's just going to go up up up Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 11
mazinaige
Regular Contributor

I just crested $200K for a doctorate. I was able to earn an undergraduate degree without acquiring any debt so this is all graduate school expenses. I am so relieved that I am eligible for the income based repayment / ten year public service loan forgiveness program. There would have been no hope of getting out of debt without it.

FICO® TU: 703 8/07/2015, EQ: 716 8/07/2015
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

when i finished culinary school i had $20K, after years of minimum payments and several lengthy voluntary forbearances later, i have $30K.  someone should have told me how little return there is on that type of educational investment!  needless to say, i don't work in food & beverage any more.

my wife has about $60K right now, and that's about to go up while she's finishing her bachelors in the next year or two.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL If ya want to call it bragging rights  Smiley Very Happy then I will say that I have about $54,000 Smiley Mad and I am only making the min. payments cause, it ain't worth struggling to pay extra a month only to figure out I will probably paying for my house the same time I finish paying back my loans for school! Ha so much for going to school and trying to make more money! Shoulda just went to work right out of high school and would be in the same place I am in now without the debt!!!!! MAYBE!!!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.