cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a transferred student loan be removed early?

tag
UpanotchJyg
Established Member

Can a transferred student loan be removed early?

Good day from Riverdale, GA everyone, I have a question. I have 5 items scheduled to drop from my TransUnion next year, possibly the other two as well but TransUnion ACTUALLY informs you on your credit report. Two of the items to be deleted are student loans that have been transferred to NAVIENT. I was just wondering if there was a way to have the those two accounts deleted early or do I have to wait until July 2019 for them to fall off.
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can a transferred student loan be removed early?

I think there was a law passed that the student loan servicers have to report accurately, so no Goodwill adjustments our anything else. However I was able to get my accounts with my servicer removed through a dispute on Credit Karma. I think it was duplicate accounts. However, my servicer actually had gone out of business, so idk if this had bearing on the removal. Doesn't hurt to try I guess.
Message 2 of 18
UpanotchJyg
Established Member

You know Sabii, Imay see about disputing because the two scheduled to fall off next year are the same two that have been taken on by NAVIENT that have been consistently payed on since January. Now those two transferred accounts are just sitting there hurting my credit score, at least until they drop off.
Message 3 of 18
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

What kind of student loans are these? Federal or private? If federal what kind of federal - Perkins, Stafford, etc?

Do these loans have late payments?

EX 8: Aug 2021 - 692 | EQ 8: Aug 2021 - 714 | TU 8: Aug 2021 - 673
Message 4 of 18
UpanotchJyg
Established Member

Well beutiful5678 after looking over the loan details, NAVIENT took over a US DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION loan. There are two other loans listed with $0 as the loan amount on the NAVIENT site that were Stafford loans paid by EDUCATIONAL CREDIT MGMT CORP/CA, so they may be connected
Message 5 of 18
UpanotchJyg
Established Member

They are connected, the previous balance equal up NAVIENT has both these semesters consolidated. I don't see the purpose of the old loan dragging me down, when it's been handed off, it has no point being in existence any longer, to a provider that is receiving consistent payments 😒. This feels like a *CATCH22*, damned if I do, damned if I don't.
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here, all my delinquencies were before it was transferred. It all seems redundant because they're the same accounts. The downside is it could disappear or something and you have to clean up that mess but it's unlikely. I'm happy I did the dispute.
There is also early exclusion that you can write to the credit bureaus about but you have to be much closer to delete for that.
Good luck!
Message 7 of 18
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

It’s still unclear why you want those accounts removed - do they have late payments?

EX 8: Aug 2021 - 692 | EQ 8: Aug 2021 - 714 | TU 8: Aug 2021 - 673
Message 8 of 18
UpanotchJyg
Established Member

Those old accounts have been CLOSED, PAID FOR by Education Credit Management, they were the Garantor and the previous owner was NAVIENT. Now it's flip flopped, the owners are the US DEPT OF ED and the guarantor is NAVIENT. The Dept of ED is unclear. Back when the original loan was opened in 2002 there were missed payments, yes, to answer your question. It has now been hands off and the old version of the loan needs to be gone because in short the SAME LOAN is appearing twice on my report. One is just showing as closed, default, paid off, whatever it's now deemed, to tired to get up to look at my credit report. The other version is showing as the payments have been go to go for the passed 8mths. Now for the passed year and a half, all 11 of my active accounts have been paid on time and is where they need to be. My Utilization is at 27% and consistently dropping. My FICO's are 633, 634, and 642. Next year 5 of the 8 negatives are scheduled to fall off, 2 of those are the old student loans, 2 are collections, and 1 is a paid charge off.😣😣😒😒😖😖😖hhhhhh.......ok........ I'm just frustrated, I need to go to bed, I'll chat with y'all lata...
Message 9 of 18
UpanotchJyg
Established Member

***CORRECTION*** "it has now been HANDED OFF", not "HANDS OFF"
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.