Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defaulted student loan garnishment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Defaulted student loan garnishment

Oops, you said that! I looked it up. If you mean the Art Institute like the one that has dozens of closed campuses including the online one, you might be eligible for a discharge. Might not be too, there are very specific rules. Never hurts to put together a strong case and try.
I also looked into disability discharge. The person has to have a total and permanent disability; it includes mental illness. It's easier if you have SSI benefits but you don't have to. I think the biggest question is about his employment. If he holds down a regular, full -time job, it will be difficult to prove the disability is severe enough to justify a discharge. He also cannot become gainfully employed for the 3 years after the discharge. I think it said he has to make below the federal poverty level.
Either way, it will be a long process and I think I would start by going the loans out of default then trying to get rid of the loans.
Good luck and you're welcome.
Message 11 of 16
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Thanks again I am going to see him later on today, I have to pick up his kids (my grandkids) so I will give him all the information you gave me. I appreciate all you have told meSmiley Happy

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome. You've helped me, probably more than once. Glad I was able to help you back.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Student Loan Hero is also a great website. They have a whole article that is something like Ultimate Student Loan Discharge Guide. They even respond to emailed questions. Much more truthful and helpful than collection agencies, Servicers, etc.
Message 13 of 16
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Thank you, you have given me such valuable info. I appreciate all the details you providedSmiley Happy
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi again. How was this able to turn out?
Message 15 of 16
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Thanks for checking in about this, I do appreciate all your advice and I printed eveything out and gave it to him. I am not sure what he has done yet, I could only guide him and hope he takes care of it.

Children good grief LOL..

Thanks for thinking of meSmiley Happy

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.