Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Calls Re Reducing My Payment or Forgiveness

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting Calls Re Reducing My Payment or Forgiveness

Getting messages claiming there is a new program that can lower my payments or provide forgiveness.

I have a high balance from loans going back to the 1970s.  They have all been rehabbed or consolidated, all on IBR, all current.

Is this a scam?  I have not talked to anyone yet.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Getting Calls Re Reducing My Payment or Forgiveness

Most likely it's a scam - I get them as well and I think they're as common as the "extended car warranty" calls people get.  Even my partner has gotten student loan reduction/forgiveness calls and he doesn't have any.

You can research online to see what information is out there with regards to whatever program they're trying to sell you on, and I would recommend reverse number look ups (though phone numbers are easily spoofed nowadays).   If you really want to ask about programs or forgiveness, you should do some research and/or chat with your servicer and/or post here and see if we can help you out.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting Calls Re Reducing My Payment or Forgiveness

Jada03:
Given your circumstances especially, it's a scam. They're likely no more legit than the people calling from Visa MasterCard. They call all the time in their very reasonable voice to tell me that I'm not on the list payment plan. Which is complete bs.
If you can, block them. They are coming up with all kinds of new ways to scamming people, even getting them to say "YES" on the phone to use their voice.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.