Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How should I go about paying down/off multiple SL

tag
bandlp08
New Contributor

How should I go about paying down/off multiple SL

I have 11 student loans open. They range from $1160 to $6325. Mixed between sub and unsub.  I have about $300-$500 a month I can put toward them. I had 12 loans but I paid the lowest one $240 off yesterday. I just don't know if I should tackle them as the lowest amount first or highest. Or look at it in a whole different way. I posted them below. They are all with the same servicer. Since they are not requiring me to make a payment until September I figured now would be the best time to get a head start on it. If it matters I want to get a construction loan to build a house in January. 

DD7C09F5-75C5-40E7-A711-E2E9E5C61BDF.png

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: How should I go about paying down/off multiple SL

If your goal is to get them paid off, I would go with the snowball method - starting with the smallest and working your way up.

If you think you can get them paid off before the 0% period ends, even better!

If they have different interest rates and you don't think you'll get them all paid off before the 0% ends - I would go from the highest interest loan first to the lower, to minimize potential interest.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 2 of 4
bandlp08
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I pretty much figured that was the way to go. Can't get $46k paid off by September so I figure I will go with starting with the larger interest rate.

@calyx wrote:

If your goal is to get them paid off, I would go with the snowball method - starting with the smallest and working your way up.

If you think you can get them paid off before the 0% period ends, even better!

If they have different interest rates and you don't think you'll get them all paid off before the 0% ends - I would go from the highest interest loan first to the lower, to minimize potential interest.

Message 3 of 4
ccquest
Established Contributor

Definitely go by interest rate if you're interested in getting out from under them the fastest. Make sure you direct them on how to apply the extra payments so it gets done properly instead of just sitting as paid ahead like some servicers do.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.