Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Made a mistake with Firstmark

tag
bradlin
Established Member

Made a mistake with Firstmark

Hello all. 

During the past few months I was involved in a brutal divorce and I had to be abroad while dealing with it. 

My mind just forgot about my Firstmark student loan. I paid before leaving the country and during my mind just wasn't on my affairs in the US. 

If I had been here I would have received a call and I would have remembered to pay. 

Unfortunately I paid after I came back to the US which was a few days after the 39 day grace period. I have never paid late in the past and my record with all creditors is perfect for the last 8 years. 

I understand Nelnet does not remove lates as they are a federal loan servicer. 

However these are private loans and I had some extenuating circumstances. I have otherwise a perfect record with them. 

How do I go about trying to get these off my credit record? 

I'm thinking goodwill letter first (would I need to attach proofs? I could if needed). 

Then maybe Lexington law or some firm to remove them. 

AmEx has already acted to reduce my credit limit by 80%! Literally the same day the lates hit the bureau. 

Please advise. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Made a mistake with Firstmark

Since, as you noted, it's a private loan, I would go with the goodwill removal.
Check the saturation technique  in the rebuilding program.

Don't go with a "credit repair" agency of any kind.  They cannot do anything you can't do for yourself, and most of the time all they do is dispute information and hope it sticks.   Trust me - a dispute with Nelnet will not stick and will be worse.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.