Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refiance Advice

tag
tcolesz12
Contributor

Refiance Advice

Hello everyone,

I was thinking about refinancing an AES loan that's variable interest (currently 5.030%) with a principal of $34, 365 and12 years left on the loan at $313 monthly payments. My current score is 699 (Fico 8). Should I try and wait for better interest rates? I've seen/gotten reapproved from sites like sofi-credible and similar roles for loans ranging from 6.45% for 7 years with a monthly payment of $508 and lowest (longer term) through a credit union which is 4.97% for 10 years at $360.82.

In 11 months I will have fully paid of my car which I'm paying $840 a month (payments are actually $336 but I pay extra) and starting jan 2023 and an extra $226 a month as I'm going on my wife health insurance.

Just asking for some advice to see what people think I should do. Thank you very much!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RSX
Valued Contributor

Re: Refiance Advice

i wouldn't bother with a ReFi now - 5% is not that bad at this time

the best way to lower your Total Interest Paid is to pay the loan early - which it sounds like you are gearing up to do, once the car is paid off

or - if your car loan has a lower Interest %, then swing the funds over to this loan until it is gone - then pay the car down

continue with that plan - make extra payments whenever you can - even $50 makes a difference - then when the car is paid off, crush this loan with those extra dollars you have each month

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 2 of 3
tcolesz12
Contributor

Re: Refiance Advice

@RSX wrote:

i wouldn't bother with a ReFi now - 5% is not that bad at this time

the best way to lower your Total Interest Paid is to pay the loan early - which it sounds like you are gearing up to do, once the car is paid off

or - if your car loan has a lower Interest %, then swing the funds over to this loan until it is gone - then pay the car down

continue with that plan - make extra payments whenever you can - even $50 makes a difference - then when the car is paid off, crush this loan with those extra dollars you have each month

Thank you for the advice yeah the car loan has a higher interest rate than the loan so that's why I have the extra funds going there first then tackle the student loan. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.