Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TPD Discharge w/ Doctors Certification Questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

TPD Discharge w/ Doctors Certification Questions

I know a lot of the posts on this page discuss TPD discharge with VA disability, but I was wondering if the process with a doctors certification is different. I applied about a month ago and it went into pending final approval status a few days ago. I know there's a backlog for VA TPD claims, but do you think the process works differently for people with a doctor's certification / SSA determination? How long does it usually take to move from 'pending final approval' status to discharge? Also, is there still a chance it won't be approved? 

Lastly, how does it work in terms of credit? With a VA disability discharge, the loans are immediately discharged so it would make sense that they are notated as paid with a zero balance on the credit report fairly soon after discharge. But, with a doctor's certification or SSA determination, there is a 3 year post-discharge period, so do the balances remain on your credit under the Nelnet byline until the 3 year period is complete or do they notate the balance as $0 from the beginning and only reapply the balances if you fail to complete the conditions? 

I really appreciate it. 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: TPD Discharge w/ Doctors Certification Questions

Well it's been a month since you posted this.  Any update?  I submitted my paperwork from the doctor via upload an email.  I've received 6 emails Application Under Review so just curious what's next and how long.  I originally had 8 loans that show a combined 92 late payments before being transferred as default 8 times for a year then consolidation to 2 current loans with income based repayment of $0/month a few months ago.  Been trying to figure out what will happen.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am currently going through the same thing that you went through they just received my disability discharge application about 10 days ago and I was just wondering how yours went and what I could expect to go through on mine?
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello I am currently going through the same thing that you have posted about and I was just curious as to what I could expect to go through during this application process. And also how long it takes to get a final decision on whether I am approved for the discharge or not
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

It took about 30 days or so after I uploaded my doctors documentation.  Only hiccup was they couldn't read my Dr license number in the handwriting once I got that information uploaded it went through fine.  They closed my open loans and started new ones from the same date from when I did consolidation earlier in the year and is also closed with 0 balance in the monitoring period.  I was hoping my old pre consolidation bad loans from default and late payments would be purged but no luck.  I have been disputing and Transunion and Equifax just keep verified.  Experian deleted everything including the four loans in perfect condition.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I filed and uploaded they said they couldn't read it so I resent it via email and about 30 days later it updated to say I was approved and now I'm in the 3 year waiting period.

I didnt pay attention to them closing and reopening with the same date but my credit report says 0 and transferred.

I did it with my doctor filling out the form prior to my disability case being final. I will say that I researched the specifics of what needs to be on the form in order for it to be approved just to make sure I didnt have to get my doc to do it all again.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello:

My Dr. filed, was received December 13, 2018.
Was approved February 11, 2019.
Will update you when credit scores get updated.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just curious but did your loans get approved? If so how long did it take? I'm still waiting on mine I sent in a dr certification as well. 

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on having yours discharged. I just had my doctor filled this out and waiting for the results. Will you PLEASE help me out with what needs to be filled out PLEASE? Thanks a bunch. 
Thanks

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jesmann Could you please give specific information about what documentation from your doctor you had to include with your application? I know they have to fill out section 4 of the application for the physician's certification, but is there anything else?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.