Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TPD update on Credit Report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

TPD update on Credit Report

Hello All,

I finally received my permanent discharge dated 11/22/2021.  Unlike many, my TPD application languished for 8 months before I got the final approval.  My question is, how long does it take from the time the discharge is approved until the credit bureaus are updated.  I've received letters from both loan servicers that they have received the discharge from the DOE and my accounts with them are discharged.  One servicer usually updates the last day of each month (has not updated yet at all), while the other usually updates the 7th of each month.  I am expecting the discharge of these loans to improve my credit score by 15-20 points as my balances were higher than the original loan amounts (I've been 100% disabled since 2013, so the discharge was supposed to be automatic but didn't happen).  Can anyone share their experience as to how long it took from discharge until the update on their credit report? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

Re: TPD update on Credit Report

@Anonymous Congrats! That's a a huge weight lifted, glad to hear. I've recently been pondering the same question, and gathering some DP's from Reddit, and seeing that it takes anywhere from 30-60 days to be updated with the bureaus. My loans were forgiven under PSLF on 11/15/21, and my latest FICO report updated today but does not show the zero balances yet and is still a month behind (showing "last updated" as of 10/2021 on each loan entry). So based on the sum total of DP's I've seen, and my own experience so far, I think it's safe to say 60 days until all is fully updated with the bureaus from the date of discharge. Forgot to mention that mine were all direct loans with FedLoan Servicing, which may be a different experience than you may have with your servicers. 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

So just a quick update.  My TransUnion report updated about 20 minutes ago with all my student loans closed with zero balances.  It gave me a 10 point Fico boost and a 40 point vantage boost.

Message 3 of 4
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

Nice, that was quick, congrats on the points boost. Wish FedLoan Servicing was as efficient.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.