Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

March Check In Thread

tag
EdMan63
Established Contributor

Re: March Check In Thread

Well I never officially checked in to this forum so I guess this is a good place.

What led me to this forum was dealing with a C/O on my credit that led to waiting period for a home loan approval. I've been divorced from my ex now for 11 years but as part of our divorce she stayed in our house which was in my name. Long story short, she walked and left me with a finacial disaster which cost me a fortune. I fell behind in 2009 and it was C/O in 1/2010. I finally setteled with the bank last October. I kept up with all my other bills but haven't applied for new credit in ages.

My new wife and I decided to move and get pre approved but the bank looks at my situation as a short sale and I have to wait 3 years. But it made my take a close look at my credit situation and develop a pro active approach to managing it. I was scared to look at it quite frankly during those dark days. Having a thin file I decided to add a credit card or two and that's what I've done. My scores are rising and I plan to add maybe one more card before the year is over then garden indefinitely. I'm glad I have a strategy now and have learned so much hanging around here.

Message 51 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Checking in for March.

My Feb goal was to keep a UTI between 10-15%...I didn't quite make that due to some balances reporting earlier than I thought and some CLIs reporting later than expected...BUT I wasn't far off from my goal.

My March goal has been and will continue to be sitting still in the garden.  I've been watching some great things happen with my scores so that is encouraging.

Welllllll I figured I should update my check-in since my goal set above wasn't met.

The handle on my spade broke, so i had to step out of the garden for a few hours...LOL.  I apped and was approved for an AMEX Delta Gold and a Chase Freedom.  Downside: dropped EX score 5 points | Upside: bumped EQ and EX up double digit points (somewhere between 11-15 each).  This was what the simulator pretty much said would happen if I got approved for a 5K card which the AMEX is.

So my challenge continues towards 700, but the light at the end of the 600s tunnel is much clearer now.

Message 52 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, everyone.  I am a new member (joined today) who has been stalking this forum for some time now.  I started seriously focusing on rebuilding my credit a few months ago.  I was able to get approved for a new car loan, without a co-signerSmiley Happy, last year.  Next month marks one year of on-time payments!!! I'm so proud of myself for not screwing this up so far!!!!  I was approved for a Capital One secured credit card in January 2015.  My credit limit is only $200, but that's better than nothing!!!  I have been progressively using it/paying it periodically throughout the month so that my balance is extremely low at the end of the billing cycle.  I applied for and was approved for a care credit account for $1000 Smiley Happy.  I asked for 10,000 (i know, ridiculous, right.. aimed too high....)  I need a little dental work done, so every little bit counts.

My goal for 2015 is to have at least 700s across the board.  That would be AMAZING!!!!!

Any advice anyone has to help me with my journey is welcomed!!!!

Message 53 of 65
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, everyone.  I am a new member (joined today) who has been stalking this forum for some time now.  I started seriously focusing on rebuilding my credit a few months ago.  I was able to get approved for a new car loan, without a co-signerSmiley Happy, last year.  Next month marks one year of on-time payments!!! I'm so proud of myself for not screwing this up so far!!!!  I was approved for a Capital One secured credit card in January 2015.  My credit limit is only $200, but that's better than nothing!!!  I have been progressively using it/paying it periodically throughout the month so that my balance is extremely low at the end of the billing cycle.  I applied for and was approved for a care credit account for $1000 Smiley Happy.  I asked for 10,000 (i know, ridiculous, right.. aimed too high....)  I need a little dental work done, so every little bit counts.

My goal for 2015 is to have at least 700s across the board.  That would be AMAZING!!!!!

Hello and welcome to the forums.

You SHOULD be very proud of that! Always paying everything on time is the best thing you can do for yourself.

My initial advice is to look all around the forums at the different boards and visit (and participate) in any of them that might interest/help you.

Also there is so much good information here that it can seem overwhelming. Take your time and don't try to move too fast. Learn what seems to work for many/most folks and what they've done to correct past mistakes.

All this is a journey and not a destination and there will be setbacks but there is a way to play the credit game to your advantage.

Message 54 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello everyone,

So where to start my story of journey?

Honestly I have some issues with sharing personal stuff , however if I'm to change I've got to make it real and nothing is more real than putting it out there

for all to see.

Couple of things " 3 St tax leins from 2000,01 and 02" not mine , problem is burden of proof is on me and it's so old. Who keeps records that long?

Me from now on, also 1 Med ca that my ex used my insurance so they tell me I'm responsible for the debt , going to try for PFD .

My goal is to buy my kids and myself a home in the next 2 years with a good rate , so I need at least mid 700's .

I had a mini app spree the other day netted 3 for 3 .

Back in the garden till mortgage shopping time.

Thanks for all the wisdom and strength I've discovered , from all my new friends.

Message 55 of 65
TheConstant
Regular Contributor

@EdMan63 wrote:

Well I never officially checked in to this forum so I guess this is a good place.

What led me to this forum was dealing with a C/O on my credit that led to waiting period for a home loan approval. I've been divorced from my ex now for 11 years but as part of our divorce she stayed in our house which was in my name. Long story short, she walked and left me with a finacial disaster which cost me a fortune. I fell behind in 2009 and it was C/O in 1/2010. I finally setteled with the bank last October. I kept up with all my other bills but haven't applied for new credit in ages.

My new wife and I decided to move and get pre approved but the bank looks at my situation as a short sale and I have to wait 3 years. But it made my take a close look at my credit situation and develop a pro active approach to managing it. I was scared to look at it quite frankly during those dark days. Having a thin file I decided to add a credit card or two and that's what I've done. My scores are rising and I plan to add maybe one more card before the year is over then garden indefinitely. I'm glad I have a strategy now and have learned so much hanging around here.

I can understand your frustration, my stepdad is going through the same thing right now with the mess that my mother left. Needless to say, I don't talk to her anymore

Ironically enough, I consult for the bank that's involved in my stepdad's situation. I wish a whole lot of luck to you.

As far as March for me, it's been a pretty good month.

This is my first time doing this. I have 1 CO from Wells Fargo for a $600 student card back in 2012 and a b#$^%t medical collection that I don't own on my report ($30), along with a bunch of 60/90/120 lates on student loans, so needless to say it's been hard for me to build my credit.

In January of 2014, I had a FAKO of 511. Current scores from this site are below (which believe it or not, judging by the to-the-point accuracy of my Discover app, seem to be fairly accurate).

Anyways, my CapOne Platinum card saw a $3000 CLI to $3300 and Ijust applied for a CLI on my QS1 which I'll hear back from shortly.

All payments for all loans and such are on time.

I saw an increase of about 25 points across the board, however the Discover inq. cost me about 7 points on EQ, and was denied.

Still working on the score though! Think I'm going to garden for a short while -- I have a CLI due in July for my QS1 and hoping to hit the max for the card.

Then, once I get my scores up in late summer, I'll apply for another card, hopefully a prime one this time!

Goal Score:800

[ AmEx Blue Cash Preferred - $34500 ]
[ Chase Sapphire Reserve - $22400 ]
[ BofA Unlimited Cash Rewards - $31000 ]
[ BofA Cash Rewards - $18000 ]
[ Citi AAdvantage Platinum - $15000 ]
[ Chase Freedom Flex - $12000 ]
[ Cap. One QS - $7800 ]
[ Cap. One QS - $7000 ]
[ AmEx EveryDay Preferred - $5000 ]
[ Discover IT - $4500 ]
Message 56 of 65
guydiver
Established Contributor

Hello .  And a big WELCOME to the forums to all of the new members. 

I'm also working towards my goal of 760 on all three reports.  I know it may seem high to some, but my journey started in 2005 with scores in the 500's.  Many ups and downs along the way.  Just want everyone to know that time and hard work will eventually pay off, no matter your situation.  I am trying to get my credit card utilization back under control.  My limits have climbed considerably over the past 3 years since my reports have been clean of any baddies.  I got in with Barclay, and they have been good to me. Started at a generous 11K limit, and now up to over 21K in three years, all auto CLI's, no new hard inquiries there.  I got Lowe's to increase me to 15K almost 6 months ago, almost time to try that one again Smiley Very Happy

I also have a Cabelas's Visa that I got one auto CLI out of nowhere over a year ago, but they hard pull all CLI requests, so I'm holding out. 

My credit union for 20 years gave me a 6.5% Visa, so that's my carry a balance card for sure.  I also joined DCU to get my foot in the door. Never used the debit card, sorta my ace in the hole thing.  I have a Sam's store card.  It's my oldest account, so it's a keeper.

So, that's about it for now.  Pretty sure my scores are almost there. Waiting for DCU EQ scores sometime this week I suspect.  I only get my TU Barclay Fico every two months.  Thinking that my next card will be something to give my EX scores monthly

Good luck to everyone.  My best advice is read, read, read. You can never stop learning on here.

'diver

Message 57 of 65
NuMeNuDay
Established Member

Hello All,

It is March already! Well almost April! 

March was a busy moneth for me from last post of 2/26/15, I have:

1. Paid off approximately $5100 of CC/LOC debt

2. Successfully removed the 4 items on my CR:

a. The late payment from my CRAs (only had one) [courtesy done from my car loan company)

b. Removed old medical bill that was paid to original doctor

c. removed the erroneous Verizon collection charge (VZ acknowledged it was their mistake)

d. Removed a severly old debt form BMG Music that was not even mine and have been disputing for about 5 years now

Final items to work on to qualify for my mortgage will be:

1. Pay final CC/LOC debt down by $2000

2. Pay off a state collections of $2500

3. Save $5000 for closing/down-payment costs.

Overall I have had major progress for the past 30 days. I probably could have paid more off, if I had been a stickler, but I have not been. I will be cracking down on unneccesary spending form April to forever (ha ha if possible)!

Closer to being debt-free!

I hope everyone had a great month! Good luck in April!

Starting Score: EQ644; TU633; EX632
Current Score: EQ704; TU714; EX707
Goal Score: 750+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge 2019
Message 58 of 65
guydiver
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello. And welcome to the boards!  You're doing great so far, and it sounds like you are on the right track.  Take the advice Marine gave to heart, and you will be fine.  If I only gave you one piece of advice from my experience, it would be Never, Ever be late!  Get your accounts set up on-line so you can keep up with them continuously and stay ahead of the game.  I like Billpay at my credit union for the regular stuff, but I have most recently set up my monthly recurring expenses on a rewards credit card.  I too make multiple payments on my cc accounts to keep the ones at a $0 balance paid off and make sure they don't report anything.  Remember, the amount reported on your cc statement is usually the balance on the statement date, not the due date, so even if you paid off your account by the due date, you could still have a balance when the statement cuts.  Keep your eye on the finish line.  Credit rebuilding is a marathon....not a sprint.  And, love your member name. Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Message 59 of 65
guydiver
Established Contributor

@70020015 wrote:

Yahoo!  Opened a $500 secured credit card with Open Sky. Just doing that one thing, along with adding one more month of aging, has made a huge differece.This stuff really works!!

My scores went up:

eq +52

Trans + 41

exp. + 19

Will continue to focus on paying down debt, reading others posts to get more creat ideas and following the advice of this site. 

THANKS TO GOD, MyFico, and ALL OF YOU OUT THERE THAT TAKE THE TIME TO POST AND SHARE YOUR STORIES !!!!

Hello, and welcome the boards!  Looks like you are on the right track.  And yes, this stuff really works.  The more you read, the more you learn.  Lots of experience on here, things to learn from, roads to take.  Hang out and come back often.  Welcome to the marathon!

Message 60 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.