Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May 2023 Check In Thread

tag
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

May 2023 Check In Thread

Hello May Pictures, Photos, and Images for Facebook ...

I'm sure you are all hard at work with your credit goals. Have you progressed as far as you hoped?  Were there any unforeseen expenses that cropped up and may have thrown you off schedule?

As a reminder, participation in these monthly check-ins is optional but encouraged. The goal is to help keep you on track, so feel free to post your progress updates here. This is a no-judge zone; feel free to say what's keeping you up at night or give yourself a Kudo for having it all together.

Did you hit any potholes or speedbumps? Achieve some milestones, either small or mighty? Change your goals or add new ones?

Let us know how you're doing! 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Tcal
Regular Contributor

Re: May 2023 Check In Thread

I wanted to garden for a Cash+, but I was impulsive and got away with murder with 4 apps/approvals last month. 8 new accounts since Sept 22.

I've been trying to redirect this tangent on credit knowledge by helping friends & family with their credit, I've even made a schedule for when to ask for CLIs to keep me busy. But I'm worried that it might not be enough. How do you guys pace yourself?

Message 2 of 9
Chazzay12
Frequent Contributor

Well it's been a good past month here. Closed on our house is the big one. Now we begin the busy season of moving and getting situated.. 

Had some nice increases, and was denied for a PenFed card. Also threw out a while "by chance" app for CSP and its under review with 2 week message. Would love that bonus for all this (budgeted) spend we have to do. If not, no biggie. Not really expecting it.. and If so I'll see you guys in approvals lol. Either way no more apps for me, I'm so close to 700s across the board so need to garden more, but was hopeful for a new card before mortgage hits my reports. 

Also, I noticed today my EX bumped up 12 points for some reason, catching up with the other scores. Maybe because my newest account is now 6 months old? Not sure. Utilization remains the same around 2-5%

@Tcal I just find myself only needing 3-5 cards that suit all my needs, and try and space out apps 6 months lol. In the meantime I fulfil my needs with asking for SP CLI all the time 🤣

Discover It (Student) $1500 | Capital One QS $2300 | Amex BCE $4800 | Chase FU $3200 | Amex Green NPSL | CSP $4200 | Discover it $3000
Car loan w/ Langley 3.5%
Homeowner since April 2023

Starting Score: 580s
Current Score as of March 2024: EX 661, TU 624, EQ 655
Goal Score: 700+, working on paying high utl cc debt

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 9
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

My Discover IT and Amex CS Investor turn 1 year old on the 5th. Going to try for a CLI with Amex this month. If i get 2x-3x CLI i will transfer some of the limit over to my Hilton Surpass and Blue Business. If not i will probably still transfer atleast $1000 over to the Hilton bringing it to $2000. I've read i have to wait for my first card to turn 13 months old to transfer limits. I wasted another HP a couple weeks ago trying to get a 0% balance transfer card. Also with my Discover IT turning 1 year old, i could apply for the Discover Cash Back card. Future cards are Amex Gold, BILT, and possibly Chase Ink Premier.

Chase Freedom Unlimited : $6000 | Discover It Chrome : $3500 | AmEx CS Investor : $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred : $5000 | Chase Amazon Prime : $2000 | AmEx Hilton Surpass : $1000 | AmEx Business Plus : $2000 | AmEx Platinum CS : POT $2800 | Tower Federal CU : $15,000 | Lowes Commercial Account : $1,000 | WF Bilt Mastercard : $4,000 | Shell Fleet Plus : $1,000
Total Credit Limit : $42500
Experian FICO 8 : 694
| Experian Vantage : 701 | TransUnion FICO 8 : 683 | TransUnion Vantage : 695 | Experian FICO 9 : 665
Starting Score: 512
Current Score: 693
Goal Score: 700+

Message 4 of 9
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Just gonna hold tight on everything in May. No apps, nothing. As much as I'd like to get the AmEx BCP, I'm going to wait to lose a bunch of INQs and let some things age a bit. My "amount of new credit" is only rated as Good on all three. Everything else is Exceptional and one Very Good. I"m going to pay my vehicle down to about $1,000 this month. A larger than expected tax bill prevented me from doing so last month.

MY EQ and EX both went up by 3 points. Not sure what TU did. EX is at its highest point thus far. New scores in the siggy.

Genesis Finance hasn't updated since Feb 28. It's still showing a balance of 93%. The vehicle has been PIF since early March. If it doesn't update this month, I'm going to dispute it with the CRAs.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Message 5 of 9
shalimarcat
Regular Contributor

Hello everyone. I haven't posted since January, but all has been well. I committed to not applying for any new credit cards in 2023, and I have been sticking to it. I don't visit these boards as often,  and find that this helps me avoid temptation. My credit limits on my current cards haven't been raised, nor have I asked for any credit line increases. I have been focusing on lowering my spend overall, and this has proved effective. I have one card that is in a zero interest period, so I keep a balance on this one, and pay off all my others each month.

I am excited to see how I close out this year, creditwise. I know that in the latter half of this year about 5-6 inquiries will fall off, giving me a much-needed score bump. In 2024 I would like to apply for a Chase card. 

Over and out.  Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 9
Akroyear
Established Member

Hello Fam.

Just checking in on my credit rebuild.  I finally got my credit consistently above 600 for the first time in years.  The current scores are:

Equifax: 622

Transunion: 604

Experian: 622

It's been a rollercoaster with my score.  I've put my card over the limit not realizing that would be reported immediately.  I've mixed up cards and paid the wrong one, destroying my utilization.  But, after finally putting reminders in Google calander to pay down credit card balances, I'm seeing progress.

Starting Score:
Current Score:

Credit building cards:
Message 7 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Akroyear wrote:

Hello Fam.

Just checking in on my credit rebuild.  I finally got my credit consistently above 600 for the first time in years.  The current scores are:

Equifax: 622

Transunion: 604

Experian: 622

It's been a rollercoaster with my score.  I've put my card over the limit not realizing that would be reported immediately.  I've mixed up cards and paid the wrong one, destroying my utilization.  But, after finally putting reminders in Google calander to pay down credit card balances, I'm seeing progress.

Great. yes OTL will cause many problems.

Message 8 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Tcal wrote:

I wanted to garden for a Cash+, but I was impulsive and got away with murder with 4 apps/approvals last month. 8 new accounts since Sept 22.

I've been trying to redirect this tangent on credit knowledge by helping friends & family with their credit, I've even made a schedule for when to ask for CLIs to keep me busy. But I'm worried that it might not be enough. How do you guys pace yourself?

Its garden time till 2024. Let all those accounts grow. More is not better. Congrats!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.