cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 car loans. Paid one off. 7 point decrease. Wth?

tag
rosco75
Regular Contributor

2 car loans. Paid one off. 7 point decrease. Wth?

I understand the logic behind having an open installment loan, and the <9% rule for increase while having a paid off loan will net you a penalty. What i do not understand is how I just had a point decrease from paying off one of two loans. Data Points:

2 installment (car) loans - each almost exactly the same amount - 20k ish

5 revolvers in the form of credit cards. AZEO util around 30%

I paid off one loan, are figured i just decreased my debt by 20k, so i was expecting a small bump but instead was rewarded with a decrease.

feels bad Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: 2 car loans. Paid one off. 7 point decrease. Wth?

The remaining loan util % is all by itself now. And the 30% CC util can go below 28% and that will help also. Below 6% even better.

Message 2 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@rosco75 wrote:

I understand the logic behind having an open installment loan, and the <9% rule for increase while having a paid off loan will net you a penalty. What i do not understand is how I just had a point decrease from paying off one of two loans. Data Points:

I paid off one loan, are figured i just decreased my debt by 20k, so i was expecting a small bump but instead was rewarded with a decrease.

feels bad Smiley Sad

Need to know the original loan amounts on both loans, the balance on the paid off loan just before you paid it off, and the balance on the remaining loan.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 13
rosco75
Regular Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

The remaining loan util % is all by itself now. And the 30% CC util can go below 28% and that will help also. Below 6% even better.

Installment loan util was always there though. Since there were two, wouldnt it be better by itself? Im not sure I understand your meaning. Forgive me if I need it barney style, I am just a Marine afterall Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 13
rosco75
Regular Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@rosco75 wrote:

feels bad Smiley Sad

Need to know the original loan amounts on both loans, the balance on the paid off loan just before you paid it off, and the balance on the remaining loan.

Car#1 Age 8 months
Original Loan Amount$21,594
Remaining Balance$19,865

Car#2 Age 1yr 4 months
Original Loan Amount$22,458
Remaining Balance$18,278

I paid off Car#2 decreasing my debt by $18,278. Since the account is still reporting, just paid, the age would not affect it?

Message 5 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@rosco75 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@rosco75 wrote:

feels bad Smiley Sad

Car#1 Age 8 months
Remaining Balance$19,865

Car#2 Age 1yr 4 months
Remaining Balance$18,278

I paid off Car#2 decreasing my debt by $18,278. Since the account is still reporting, just paid, the age would not affect it?

Thanks. Well I can't see any reason why paying off #2 would have caused a score decrease. Your installment utilization did not change much. Your number of accounts with balance decreased by one. I'm guessing it was something unrelated.

Maybe going from a little less than 90% installment utilization (86.5%) to a little more than 90% installment utilization (92%) caused a score decrease? I guess it's possible, but I doubt it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 13
GZG
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@rosco75 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@rosco75 wrote:

feels bad Smiley Sad

Car#1 Age 8 months
Remaining Balance$19,865

Car#2 Age 1yr 4 months
Remaining Balance$18,278

Thanks. Well I can't see any reason why paying off #2 would have caused a score decrease. Your installment utilization did not change much. Your number of accounts with balance decreased by one. I'm guessing it was something unrelated.

Maybe going from a little less than 90% installment utilization (86.5%) to a little more than 90% installment utilization (92%) caused a score decrease? I guess it's possible, but I doubt it.

isn't 89% one of the smaller installment loan thresholds for small point boosts? This would account for it if they went back above 89%.

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 7 of 13
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Not sure that the drop specifically relates to the loan payoff. Your balance to loan ratio is looked at in aggregate for active loans. In your case not much change. BTW - analysis from a few years back suggests a minor score change B/L threshold somewhere in the 65% to 70% range. 

Nonetheless, there is one rather obscure scoring factor that one credit bureau uses as a minor component: Age of open installment loans. I believe the factor looks at age of oldest open loan moreso than average age of the loans. Code 25 encompasses all loans (open + closed) whereas code 36 in the lower table is for open loans only.

I have seen a variety of these lists and only Experian looks at age of open loans.

Fico reason codes # accounts.jpg

Reason codes.jpg

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 8 of 13
Beefy1212
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@rosco75 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@rosco75 wrote:

feels bad Smiley Sad

Car#1 Age 8 months
Remaining Balance$19,865

Car#2 Age 1yr 4 months
Remaining Balance$18,278

Pretty sure there is a scoring threshold somewhere in the high 80's I want to say 88%

I seem to recall a 7 point or so change on my report around that number on my report.

Message 9 of 13
Beefy1212
Established Contributor

@rosco75 wrote:

feels bad Smiley Sad

There is no penalty on paying off a loan it is strictly loan balance utilization changes when going from a very high utilization like you had it is possible for your score to rise, your change resulted in a 7% or so utilization increase and that or an unrelated reason is why your score decreased 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.