Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

35% payment history question.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 35% payment history question.

@Anonymous wrote:

Cool spreadsheet.  Is there a way to save it to you computer, not just Google drive?

I believe you just have to click File->Save as XLS but I have zero clue if it works with anything but Google Sheets.  If you try it let me know, I haven't had Microsoft Excel in probably 6 years.

@Anonymous wrote:

One thing I might recommend adding is a line below your total credit card limts and balances that sums up those two columns, as those are common pieces of data that people tend to add up on their own quite a bit.

Ah good idea, just added a bottom totals line!

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Given the distinction I just made between reporting and carrying a balance....

The strategy that many of us use is to just use our cards naturally and not worry about utilization or how many cards are reporting a balance.  Some months it will only be one card reporting a positive balance, some months it will be all cards.  We just set up all our cards with autopay (to PIF whatever was on the last statement) and then we get on with life and forget about it.

Not everybody does that, but many of us do.  As long as you can see that (based on your own credit limits and spending patterns) such an approach will keep every card at < 49% individual utilization and your total utilization at < 29%, such a strategy works fine.

The logic behind it is that if a person's goal is to gradually build credit over time, then the extra scoring points a person gets from AZEO (All zero except one) and for having hyperlow utilization -- well, they are nice, but you can get those basically any time you want by adopting AZEO in the month before an important credit pull.  AZEO does not help you gradually build a score.  Do it if you like, but don't do it because you think it will help you in the long term. 

The responses you have gotten so far focus chiefly on how AZEO affects your FICO score. 

There's a separate issue which is how your individual creditors might view a card that is almost never used.  That's not a FICO issue.  That involves its internal policies.  Your initial post decribes a person who might have 8 cards but use 1 of them for almost everything.  You could find credit limits lowered because you almost never use a card, and indeed have the card cancelled if the card goes for long enough without being used.

So be sure regardless to use each one of your cards at least every six months -- unless they are store cards, in which case you can likely get away with far less frequent use.  Also be sure to activate each new card that you get and use it for something small fairly soon after you get it.  Unused cards can be cancelled far sooner than ones that have been used at least once.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

Can download as Excel out of Google Sheets, File / Download as

It lets me DL the file, but I can't open it.  I get a "converter failed to open the file" error message.

Message 13 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Can download as Excel out of Google Sheets, File / Download as

It lets me DL the file, but I can't open it.  I get a "converter failed to open the file" error message.

May be lucky, when I DL'd and opened it, Excel crashed.

Recovered my work but meh.  I may try it again later or just use it as Google intended inside Sheets (which I use most days for work anyway).

        
Message 14 of 15
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

On a broader note, Payment History relates to whether or not you are timely or late in your payments, not the % util or number of cards with a balance.

Those are scored under the Utilization of Credit category.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.