cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

40 point drop - not sure if it makes sense?

tag
kwikksilva

40 point drop - not sure if it makes sense?

Hi all,

I've just had a 40 point drop in my Fico score - from 750 -> 710

I believe it is because i am keeping a high ratio of credit to balance, but that is because my limits on my two cards are $500 and $1000 respectively.

I have  2 cards - and a car lease. All in good order. I have had US credit for 2 years, 2 months.

One thing i noticed on my latest report is

"Ratio of your revolving balances to your credit limits : 33%"

"You've made heavy use of your available revolving credit."

Do you think this drop makes sense?

Thanks

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
rom828
Established Contributor

Re: 40 point drop - not sure if it makes sense?

Welcome to the Forum,Kwik! Smiley Happy

Utilization (% of credit used out of  credit avaible) counts for  30% of your score, so it would certainly make sense that this could have such an impact, especially since it sounds like your file is relatively new and thin.

9% and under appears to be the optimum overal utilization, so with your limits, $135 reported balances should be the max for best reporting.  Number of balances reporting can also have a bearing.

For myself, I seem to gain/lose about 2 FICO points for each % of utilization, but I can't say that everyone's experience will be the same. 

If you can't get the cards paid down right away, perhaps you could try to get your limits increased, which would improve your utilization even if your debt stayed the same.

Opening another card  might be an option, although you would take a hit for the inq and maybe  lose some points if it affects your AAoA.

Ideally, the best way to have low utilization is to have cards paid down...or at least be sure they're paid down  by the statement closing date so big balances don't report.

There are tons of great posts on this forum dealing with utilization and scoring,  so take a look around!   

This forum  is where I've garnered whatever information and knowledge about the scoring process, credit, etc. that I possess.

I've been so blessed by the many, many people on this forum that have been absolutely eager to share what they know  in an effort to help others, so i encourage  you to take advantage of their generosity !!

FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rom828 wrote:

Welcome to the Forum,Kwik! Smiley Happy

Utilization (% of credit used out of  credit avaible) counts for  30% of your score, so it would certainly make sense that this could have such an impact, especially since it sounds like your file is relatively new and thin.

9% and under appears to be the optimum overal utilization, so with your limits, $135 reported balances should be the max for best reporting.  Number of balances reporting can also have a bearing.

For myself, I seem to gain/lose about 2 FICO points for each % of utilization, but I can't say that everyone's experience will be the same. 

...........................................................................................................................................
....................................................................................................................................................

I believe you forgot to mention that the OP needs to keep their utilization under 9% on EACH card, in addition to keeping the same below 9% of the overall available credit. i.e util on the card with $500 CL shouldnt be more than $45, and the same on the card with $1000 CL shouldnt be more than $90 Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 20
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I agree with all the comments made, with only one additional comment.

Monthly tracking of credit scores is, for the most part, good.  But fixation on this montly tracking may sometimes lead one to unnecessary levels of concern.

Take your situation as an example.  Assume that your recent point decrease was due primarily, if not soley, to your current reporting of increased % utils on your CCs.

The immediate concern over this drop in score may be  high for you, provided you are planning to apply for new credit in the near future, and thus your credit score becomes more than just a tracking concern of yours,but rather a number that will soon affect the grant of new credit.

However, % util has no historical memory in credit scoring.  Losses one month are retrieved the next month, when utils are returned to prior levels..

Fine tweaking of % util for FICO scoring purposes is good, if you want to preserve a high monthly score, but really becomes relevant about a month or two before before you actually apply for hew credit, and thus a creditor will be reviewing it. 

Message 4 of 20
kwikksilva

Guys, thanks a million for your responses - this really helps alot! :-)

Message 5 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

If this bugs you, pay them off early. For most cards, pay before the statement date. For HSBC/ Orchard bank cards and US Bank cards, pay before the last business day of the month. (These are when almost all CC's update balances to your credit reports.)

With having just two cards, pay one in full, so that it reports $0. Pay the other down to $10, let it report $10, and then pay it off before the due date.

You're getting hurt by having all (both, in your case) cards reporting balances. I'm not an advocate of having forty-'leven cards, but there's something to be said for having 3 or 4 cards, so that you don't get these wild score swings. But tight management of two cards can avoid the swings as well.

You don't have to do this unless you're getting ready to app for more credit. I like doing this even when I'm not looking for new credit because:

1. It takes a full billing cycle at a minimum to get new balances to report, and it can be longer if you have cards that periodically don't bother to update.
  2. You never know when an attractive credit opportunity might arise, and it helps to have your reports and scores fine-tuned. Also, you never know if you might need it right away, as in your car just crumbled to ashes and you don't have the savings to pay cash for a replacement. This is sort of the credit version of always putting on clean underwear in the mornings, in case you're in an accident.
  3. It helps create and maintain good financial discipline --you're aware of your balances, you're aware of your billing cycles, and you think long and hard before carrying a balance.
  4. I * puffy heart * high scores. Smiley Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 20
kwikksilva

Well the 40 point (750 - 710) just turned to a 64 point drop to 685 - with a reporting balance on 1 of the cards today of $365. argh.

I just started running score watch and am not used to these drops....

It looks like i just need to drop the card balances to Zero to get back the points.

How long do you think it would take to recover?

Message 7 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

OK, that's too many points. Smiley Surprised Something else is going on.

Look at screen 2 on the score reports for the older scores and the newest one. What are the negatives on each report, in order? Have they changed places? If utilization has changed, what was it before, and what is it now?

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 20
kwikksilva

So when i look back now - the 750 score was from a TU score in July. The 709 and the 685 are since i started using scorewatch. The high utilization is the newest bad mark on my credit. Previously it was always just - short history. Now its history + high credit usage. It must be because my limits are so low. I guess i'll just keep scorewatch going and make sure that i have my limits low and hope for it to come back up!

Message 9 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Whew! OK, that's better.

Not that it's any fun having a drop like that, but at least it was two different reports.

Dropping the util should get you back up there.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.