Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

501 credit score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

501 credit score

Hi all,

My credit score is 501, no loans for over six years, own all my cars and home with no payments, only negative items are ancient and two new cell phone accounts I am contesting b/c they hosed me on promises of rebates that never materialized so I cancelled them.  I can't believe my score is lower then 100% of every person in this country, INCLUDING MYSELF?  Anyway, what crack head designed this system and why are they still employing it?  This means I could go to every death row inmate walkin to the chair and he or she will have the same or better credit score as I.  WHAT's UP WITH DAT? 

Thanks,

Tvlawyer

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

Re: 501 credit score

that seems rather odd... do you have any credit cards reporting or anything? Have you pulled your credit reports and looked for inconsistencies?

Ex 752 (Amex) Tu 758 (Walmart) Eq 703
Goal: 750+ on all
Current Cards: Cap1 Cash Back; Chase Freedom; Chase Amazon; Citi Thank You; Citi Forward; Discover iT; Amex Zync; GE WalMart; BoA 3-2-1
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, it gets worse, years ago I had credit cards, car loans, and home loans.  All loans are closed and paid with the exception of a couple over six years ago and those two car loans I got hosed when they tried to up my payoff by over six thousand.  My mortgage company had its employees criminally charged and the bank went bust and got bought out.  Overall, I never had a credit score that was great even when I had numerous things that were paid.  I think the scoring is negatively biased and not based upon sufficient flexibility to account for equity prone individuals who gave up on credit.  If it weren't for the silly cell phone cos I'd be event free for some time now.  I do have a couple of random medical copays my ins co said they paid that are on my report.  Either way, there were numerous good accounts that don't seem to matter even when they're for thousands and the med bills are a couple hundred.  I think its about time I think of a more flexible probability schedule.  This scoring is more adept at making Isaac money then representing reality.   Cheers.

Message 3 of 7
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This means I could go to every death row inmate walkin to the chair and he or she will have the same or better credit score as I.  WHAT's UP WITH DAT? 

Thanks,

Tvlawyer

Technically, yes, but what does being on death row have to do with having a good credit score?

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 4 of 7
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Negative items drag down scores. They may seem ancient/unfair to us but FICO doesn't care about feelings, LOL!

Also, if you're not using any credit building a positive history isn't really going to happen.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 7
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

unfortunately, 1 bad thing will drag your score down (let alone several). While you are waiting for those negatives to deminish, you should get a cc for rebuilding. Since all of your loans are paid off, they arent doing much good with increasing your score any. I completely agree that it seems unfiar - my score dropped about 60 points because I did an app spree (only had 1 card at the time) and my UTI went up about 15%. 

Ex 752 (Amex) Tu 758 (Walmart) Eq 703
Goal: 750+ on all
Current Cards: Cap1 Cash Back; Chase Freedom; Chase Amazon; Citi Thank You; Citi Forward; Discover iT; Amex Zync; GE WalMart; BoA 3-2-1
Message 6 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Not certain why the anger is in your post: people change in their financial habits over time, you may have been a great borrower in the past, but something 10 years ago, is of limited value today.  Without current history, you're hosed.

Also 501? That sounds like a Vantage Score anyway, that's not FICO at all, but rather Experian, Equifax, Transunion.

At any rate there's a simple fix: go open up two or three credit cards, and some silly installment loan, and go on with life and watch the numbers rise.  That's what I'm doing, and you're probably in a better situation than I am credit history wise but my score improvement is listed in my signature.  It just takes time, nothing you can do about it except educate yourself, and play the game as you noted.

Not saying it's an equitable system, but it's what we have and life ain't exactly fair in all cases.

        
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.