Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 840

That's great. Thanks for the info.
Message 11 of 15
smallfry
Senior Contributor

2 credit cards showing a balance and a meager one at that. What a surprise. Not. Well done OP.
Message 12 of 15
mborgens
Valued Member

I ran the simulator.

If I miss 1 payment, my score could drop as much as 140 points. Wow!

And on my lower score (817), paying my CC's to show a $0 balance, could raise my score by 20 points. I thought we were told to keep a low balance, interesting?
Message 13 of 15
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@mborgens wrote:
I ran the simulator.

If I miss 1 payment, my score could drop as much as 140 points. Wow!

And on my lower score (817), paying my CC's to show a $0 balance, could raise my score by 20 points. I thought we were told to keep a low balance, interesting?

Lots of opinions on that from both sides of the aisle. I have heard highest scores are obtained when paying in full before the statement cuts and some say to wait until the balance reports then PIF before the due date. Try both ways and see what happens.
Message 14 of 15
mborgens
Valued Member

smallfry wrote: Lots of opinions on that from both sides of the aisle. I have heard highest scores are obtained when paying in full before the statement cuts and some say to wait until the balance reports then PIF before the due date. Try both ways and see what happens.

I'm already doing the latter. I PIF each month after the balance is reported.

It seems odd that a zero balance would generate higher scores than a balance between 0 and 1%
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.