Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AAoA and AoOA -- revolving only?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AAoA and AoOA -- revolving only?

Hello all.  My apologies in advance if this has been thoroughly discussed elsewhere! 

I have noticed for a long time a negative reason statement (TU FICO 8 supplied to me by Bank of America) which claims that FICO 8 looks at account age (Age of Oldest Account and Average Age of Accounts) purely in terms of revolving accounts (excluding from consideration loans etc.).  Here is the language:

Length of time revolving accounts have been established
FICO® Scores consider the age of a person's oldest revolving account and/or the average age of revolving accounts. Your score was impacted by the relatively low age of your oldest revolving account and/or the average age of your revolving accounts.

Naturally that doesn't mean that FICO doesn't also look at AAoA and AoOA as just accounts in general (including loans).  Indeed I have also seen a different reason statement that uses the general language that implicitly includes all account types in its age calculation. 

This revolving specific language I have seen on my TU FICO 8 (Bank of America), my EX FICO 9 (Wells Fargo), and my EQ FICO 9 (Navy Fed).

It might also be considered by my EX FICO 8 but I only get two reason codes from my Amex so perhaps I'd see it if I saw four codes.

I also see this revolving-specific reason code on my TU mortgage score (pulled a year ago).

On my particular profile, my oldest account is a loan (a little over 18 years) and my next oldest account is a credit card that is a little over 15 years old.  Both are open accounts -- my closed accounts are all younger.  All three reports read the same way in this respect.  As touches average age, my revolving-specific AAoA is significantly lower than is my general AAoA, since I have quite a few young cards and some old closed loans (10-13 years).

Do lots of other people see this revolving-specific reason code for age?
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: AAoA and AoOA -- revolving only?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all.  My apologies in advance if this has been thoroughly discussed elsewhere! 

I have noticed for a long time a negative reason statement (TU FICO 8 supplied to me by Bank of America) which claims that FICO 8 looks at account age (Age of Oldest Account and Average Age of Accounts) purely in terms of revolving accounts (excluding from consideration loans etc.).  Here is the language:

FICO® Scores consider the age of a person's oldest revolving account and/or the average age of revolving accounts. Your score was impacted by the relatively low age of your oldest revolving account and/or the average age of your revolving accounts.

Naturally that doesn't mean that FICO doesn't also look at AAoA and AoOA as just accounts in general (including loans).  Indeed I have also seen a different reason statement that uses the general language that implicitly includes all account types in its age calculation. 

This revolving specific language I have seen on my TU FICO 8 (Bank of America), my EX FICO 9 (Wells Fargo), and my EQ FICO 9 (Navy Fed).

It might also be considered by my EX FICO 8 but I only get two reason codes from my Amex so perhaps I'd see it if I saw four codes.

I also see this revolving-specific reason code on my TU mortgage score (pulled a year ago).

On my particular profile, my oldest account is a loan (a little over 18 years) and my next oldest account is a credit card that is a little over 15 years old.  Both are open accounts -- my closed accounts are all younger.  All three reports read the same way in this respect.  As touches average age, my revolving-specific AAoA is significantly lower than is my general AAoA, since I have quite a few young cards and some old closed loans (10-13 years).

Yes, when I go to the BOA site and look at my TU FICO 8 score I have the exact same language:

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can’t speak on that CGID, however an interesting parallel that you may want to know is that I have discovered separate reason codes at EX2 for too many credit balances and separately for too many revolving balances.

It’s a very interesting question that you posit though, and then it naturally follows that if so, we must ask upon which age metric are points granted upon, or both?
Message 3 of 22
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think so, yes reason codes for longest revolver and longest installment exist but I've typically seen them on industry option scorecards; I do see it on TU FICO 9 currently though, not hugely surprised that it's in 8 too given reason code access completely sucks for FICO 8 Classic.

That said, I've been right on the button for AAOA for both 2 years and 5 year breakpoints for all accounts on EX and EQ, I doubt that calculation is different on TU TBH..  Can't trust the verbiage around the reason codes, hate to say it but even myFICO has had errors in the text they put around reason codes to explain them in the past, I've caught two of them personally.

Frankly I don't think AOOA amounts to much anymore on FICO 8/9 but that is conjecture on my part.

ETA: Actually I know they're separate, from a MF report from a little bit ago that longest revolving is a different reason code than AAOA anyway.

3. You have a short credit history.

4. You have not established a long revolving and/or open- ended account credit history.

        
Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another spinoff question I'd have CGID related to your topic here on age of revolvers is whether or not it's considering only open revolvers or also closed ones.  I see the same language as you with my oldest open revolver being a little over 4 years in age, but my oldest closed revolver (also my oldest account) is about 18 years in age.

Message 5 of 22
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

If it was open only then your 850 is at an AOOA of 4 years BBS Smiley Wink

Like maybe on a ruthlessly optimized file or it is no longer a scorecard segmentation device.

        
Message 6 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Another spinoff question I'd have CGID related to your topic here on age of revolvers is whether or not it's considering only open revolvers or also closed ones.  I see the same language as you with my oldest open revolver being a little over 4 years in age, but my oldest closed revolver (also my oldest account) is about 18 years in age.

If your oldest revolver/account was open instead of closed, I don't think it would make a difference. My oldest revolver, which is also my oldest account, is open. It's 30 years & 10 months old.

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, when I go to the BOA site and look at my TU FICO 8 score I have the exact same language:

Thanks, SouthJ!  Do you have access to a different credit monitoring service that gives you your TU FICO 8?  If so, does that CMS give you four negative reason codes and have you ever seen the revolving-specific age language appear in any of them?

I see the language in my FICO 9 scores (EQ FICO 9 from Navy Fed and EX FICO 9 from Wells Fargo).  I don't have access to FICO 8 on EQ and only have two reason statements on my FICO 8 EX from Amex, so it might be happening there as well.  And as I mentioned earlier I also have seen it on at least one of my mortgage scores.

I'd be very interested in hearing all the scores on which you have seen it.  And if you have not seen it on a certain score, whether your CMS supplies four statements.

Also interesting that you see the negative statement with your oldest account being an open revolving over 31 years old.  Clearly AoOA can't be the culprit.  But the language certainly includes AAoA as a concern.  If you had to guess what your AAoA was (based on revolving accounts only) would a rough guess be?  Some scoring models analyze the difference between AoOA and AAoA.  When there is a huge difference such models flag that and penalize you for it -- presumably because it is a marker for a person who has opened a large amount of accounts in a few years.

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi BBS.  See my last post (to SouthJ).  I'd be very interested in hearing more about what scoring models and bureaus you see this in and which you do not, and also info about the CMS providing the score.  I'd love to find someone displaying this negative reason code from a....

TU FICO 8 score not sourced from Bank of America

FICO 8 score from EQ or EX

Bankcard Enhanced or Auto Enhanced model

FICO 9 model (I see it with EQ and EX -- do not have TU access)

Message 9 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks, SouthJ!  Do you have access to a different credit monitoring service that gives you your TU FICO 8? 

Yes

If so, does that CMS give you four negative reason codes

TU 8 from Discover (5/10/19) provided just one

TU 8 from MyFICO (5/6/19) provided just one

and have you ever seen the revolving-specific age language appear in any of them?

I don't know what I've seen historically, I never paid attention in that much detail

I see the language in my FICO 9 scores (EQ FICO 9 from Navy Fed and EX FICO 9 from Wells Fargo).  I don't have access to FICO 8 on EQ and only have two reason statements on my FICO 8 EX from Amex, so it might be happening there as well. 

And as I mentioned earlier I also have seen it on at least one of my mortgage scores.

I'd be very interested in hearing all the scores on which you have seen it. 

On 5/6/19 the revolving-specific age code appeared in:

-EQ FICO 9, Auto 9, and Bankcard 9

-TU FICO 4, Auto 8, Auto 4, Bankcard 8, FICO 9, Auto 9, Bankcard 9

-EX FICO 9, Auto 9, Bankcard 9

And if you have not seen it on a certain score, whether your CMS supplies four statements.

The above are from MyFICO, which usually gives 4 statements.

Also interesting that you see the negative statement with your oldest account being an open revolving over 31 years old.  Clearly AoOA can't be the culprit.  But the language certainly includes AAoA as a concern.  If you had to guess what your AAoA was (based on revolving accounts only) would a rough guess be? 

If it were based on revolving accounts only it would probably be close to what it is including the installment accounts, which is less than 4 years.  My installment accounts are all relatively recent reindeer games loans which came from @Revelate's poisoning my mind on this forum Smiley Happy [except for one auto loan which I treated like a reindeer games loan and paid off in 6 months]

Some scoring models analyze the difference between AoOA and AAoA.  When there is a huge difference such models flag that and penalize you for it -- presumably because it is a marker for a person who has opened a large amount of accounts in a few years.

My profile would certainly fit the bill for that, since there are only one or two old accounts, and a whole mess of young accounts.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.