Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funny - Usage up and FICO 8 up!

tag
Five6Two
Frequent Contributor

Funny - Usage up and FICO 8 up!

Saw the funniest thing happen today...I let my Disco report and hit the 19% threshold for statement cut (hoping Disco sees my increased usage for an CLI consideration). My EX went up 7 points...no other changes reported. My last score change was 2 weeks ago (saw a 1 pt increase when car loan hit 1 year) when my report showed the following DPs: 1 revolver @ 47% (BT), 1 revolver @ 28% (BT), 1 revolver @ 25% (BT) and overall util @ 13%. No other changes that I can think of...so weird. Consequently my EQ saw a 3 pt drop with Disco reporting at 19%...

Siggy under construction Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

Re: Funny - Usage up and FICO 8 up!

We often forget the simple effect that tradelines aging can have.

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 2 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Five6Two wrote:

Saw the funniest thing happen today...I let my Disco report and hit the 19% threshold for statement cut (hoping Disco sees my increased usage for an CLI consideration). My EX went up 7 points...no other changes reported. My last score change was 2 weeks ago (saw a 1 pt increase when car loan hit 1 year) when my report showed the following DPs: 1 revolver @ 47% (BT), 1 revolver @ 28% (BT), 1 revolver @ 25% (BT) and overall util @ 13%. No other changes that I can think of...so weird. Consequently my EQ saw a 3 pt drop with Disco reporting at 19%...

1. Your scores did not increase as a result of higher utilization on your Discover card; something else caused it.

2. It's pointless to let a Discover balance report so that Discover can see your increased usage; they see your usage of their products 24/7.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, utilization increases don't cause FICO score increases, with the only exception to that rule being a shift from 0% to something non-zero (but not high).  Your score went up for a different reason as SJ stated above.

Also, 19% is not a known or assumed "threshold" point as you put it.

Message 4 of 6
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Sounds to me like one or more sets of accounts went through an age threshold. Those do not report as a line item change but a young account hitting 6mo or a youngish account hitting 1yr can cause 10 point changes on thin files due to their instability. I used to have cases where an inquiry falling off would give me back 5-10 points when I was younger. The real fun though was getting CLI's by request from Bank of America and after that reported I would get all my points back as well as an increase.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 5 of 6
Five6Two
Frequent Contributor

Hi, you’re right, I mistook 19% for 29%. But in any case I hit the CLI button and received a $1500 increase - so there is that.
Siggy under construction Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.